• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Asparagus should only be eaten from April-June. Outside that time slot they taste horrible.

Depends where you live!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is Cornish Game hen-- I love the Backbone  ( my Plate )

The sauce is red currant jelly, port and cream in a braise game hen stew on tators

candied pearl onions and kale Brussels salad

Topped with Pomo seeds

attachicon.gifGame Hen.jpg

Wow.. bruised parsley?  Help me on this--was my knife that duLL?

Those onions are calling out to me. Your bruised parsley may be due to a dull knife, technique or a combination. There may also be other explanations so I shall be watching to see what other people might offer.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Roasted Catalan chicken thighs and a version of panzanella (both inspired by Diana Henry).

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Taught my last Drums Alive exercise class this afternoon, and again, I was happy I had chicken prepared...just put the whole thing into the oven, cooked some green beans and jasmine rice, and had a nap before supper!

CitrusChicken1459.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Various meals.

Pasta w/ sauce.

Sauce: EV olive oil, onions, celery, tomatoes, fennel bulb, tomato ketchup [Heinz: "Simply Heinz"], salt, vinegar.

No. 1:  on angel hair [De Cecco], w/ sautéed cabbage.

No. 2:  on linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], w/ sautéed brussels sprouts.

DSCN3394a_800.jpg

DSCN3400a_800.jpg

Chicken rice.

Poached whole chicken w/ scallions, ginger, salt, seasoning.  Rice cooked w/ sautéed garlic & ginger, plus the poaching stock.  Watercress wilted in some of the poaching stock.  Scallion-ginger sauce.  Lingham's Hot Sauce.

DSCN3406a_800.jpg

"Singapore Laksa La Mian" [Prima Taste] w/ water spinach (kangkong, ong choy), mung bean sprouts, daun laksa (rau răm), tau pok, poached chicken.

DSCN3409a_800.jpg

• Like 5

20141214_172927_zpsf53a799f.jpg

Yesterday we had  a Lovely   Refrigerator  stew,  It  turned out to be  chicken, peas, left over cream, a bit of leek and milk and a stock cube and it tasted lovely.

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Dejah,

That chicken looks luscious. I admit that it brought a smile to my face because I connected Drums Alive with the drumsticks and interpreted it as the name of the dish until I went back and read slowly. Can you tell us more about this dish, please.

My 2004 eG Blog

Taught my last Drums Alive exercise class this afternoon, and again, I was happy I had chicken prepared...just put the whole thing into the oven, cooked some green beans and jasmine rice, and had a nap before supper!

That looks delicious. Does it freeze well? 

Dejah,

That chicken looks luscious. I admit that it brought a smile to my face because I connected Drums Alive with the drumsticks and interpreted it as the name of the dish until I went back and read slowly. Can you tell us more about this dish, please.

Cyalexa: That looks delicious. Does it freeze well? 

Have never tried freezing as we usually finish it all!

Recipe is from Jeanne Kelley from Fine Cooking Issue 115

The recipe is set for 2 four-lb chickens, but I just used drumsticks this time.

4 large lemons

2 large oranges

8 medium cloves garlic, chopped

3 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 Tbs. dried, crumbled)

3 Tbs. soy sauce

1 Tbs. honey

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Oil a roasting dish with 1/4 cup olive oil.

The marinade is :

2 /3 cup lemon juice and zest of one lemon. Tuck some wedges of lemon around the chicken pieces.

1/2 cup OJ, and zest of one orange. Tuck some wedges of orange around the chicken.

Mix the above with the rest of the ingredients. 

Pour over the chicken, cover and let sit in the fridge 6 - 12 hours. I pieced the chicken pieces.

Pre-heat oven to 425F

Turn the chicken so all the pieces are skin side up. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 375°F and continue to roast until the chicken is golden-brown and cooked through, about 30 minutes.

I have cooked the two chickens, and the leftovers are just as delicious. 

The other quick recipe I use is coat drumsticks with 6 tbsp marmalade mixed with 3 tbsp whole grain mustard. Roast at 375F, spooning the marinade back onto the legs about half way (20 min) and roast for another 20 minutes. I score the thickest part of the legs to help the marinade stay on better.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thank you for the chicken recipe, Dejah. It will go into my file as Dejah's Drums Alive chicken

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Asparagus should only be eaten from April-June. Outside that time slot they taste horrible.

I guess that depends on where one lives, now doesn't it?

I buy southern hemisphere asparagus occasionally and it tastes fine by me.  I usually peel it, slice very thinly on the diagonal and saute in olive oil, with garlic, some chili flakes, salt and pepper - I don't get many complaints.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Asp. is Asp.

what is very important is that you chose those Asp. that have very tight 'heads'

ie the 'buds' are very tight to the stalk.

"" in the spring "" there are these very thin Asp.  cheap

Oooooooooooh !  Ooooooooooooooooooooh!

no need to peel !  "" baby ""  etc.

but they might look fantastic Sur la Plate , and are easy to deal with, etc

they have little Asp. tatse

Con-Agra and it's twin Agra-Con  (  note  'Con' ) just wants it $$$ sooner.

"" baby spinach ""  etc

but it takes longer to get the Thick Big Boys and Girls, and you have to peal the bottoms w a pealers.

but those taste a whole lot more like ASP.

to each there own.

If you look at the asparagus I got, they were small, appeared young, and didn't need peeling. I cut the stems off about half way down. I inspected every spear and some of the heads had gone soft. I threw those away and rinsed the rest.  I think mine were starting to get a little old.  Maybe they took a slow boat from Peru or wherever.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

image.jpg

If 1 ham + 2 people = eternity what's the equivalent equation for 1 large head of cabbage and 1 singleton?

Inspired by Nigel Slater this is cabbage sautéed and tossed while still warm with a dressing of olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard and a little 35% cream. I topped it with two small boneless and skinless chicken thighs.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Made some pinto beans with a "ham hock" I took out of a pork shoulder, cured and smoked. Onion, celery, chili powder, poblano.

Stirred the beans together with steamed rice and hot sauce and a long piece of cheddar in each poblano.

Topping is panko, oil and salt.

wM4Qrr1.png

Edited by Dave W (log)
  • Like 2