• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Dinner 2014 (Part 6)

image.jpg

Smoked duck breast (King Cole), treviso, home-made black bread and hoisin sauce.

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Did you smoke the duck and, if so, could you give time and temp please?  TIA.

No, sorry. King Cole is a brand of commercial smoked duck available here.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner Last night Post Soccer game!!

Broth-Beef short ribs boiled in a mirepoix with a touch of Yashida sauce and spot Ketchup /cooled and defated

Soup- I sauted a chicken tender in garlic, fried the Udon noodles too.. added in lemon grass/Bok choy and then the stock.

Finished with cilantro/jalapeno/ and Hoisen sauce

Udon Soup.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 9

Its good to have Morels

One of my favorite Eats is ravioli / tortellini.  I used to make them, now I lean heavily on the prepared stuff in the refrigerated section.

TJ's has a nice selection.  But the brand below has had an interesting selection,  some w proscuitto, which I enjoy.  they periodically go on sale.

even better !   :biggrin:

CkProscuit.jpg

mise ( grated Tj's Parmesian-ish, spinach, gr. onion ):

MixIns.jpg

resulting dinner :

RavDinner.jpg

I cook the Rav's in ' a made at home ' stock, then add the mise. some time I add a beaten egg.

note the HomeMade(machine)bread that has been toasted in the CSB. fresh bread toasted in that

machine is a revelation.  anyone who bakes bread should consider it.

the bread after toasting, gets a little butter, olive oil, and Penzey's Sandwich sprinkle, making a

quick 'garlic bread'

as you can see :  very little work, easy peasy.  delicious.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11

20141210_171607_zpsc8cc8bb1.jpg

Advent stew, with lingon, julmust and beef. YUM!

20141210_171635_zps3ad1a849.jpg

My daughters plate, she wanted a picture of it. Yes, she gets the same food as us.

• Like 10

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Lingon :  I know this from the IKEA 'jars'  where these 'fresh' in the sense that in New England we can easily get

fresh cranberries now

julmust ?   

Id take that any day and consider myself lucky

Good for your daughter.

15992123455_5fc4594f4b_z.jpg

Paella by candlelight.  Just call me Mr. Romantic (and don't look at the crappy plating of the salad on the bottom - that's my side).

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Julmust is a the Swedish  Christmas drink, it is a soda pop made with malt , barley and  spices, it sweet but not as sweet as cola  and lovely and yes we buy it in bottles.  Well the lingon was bought in  the town market this autumn and frozen,  I dont dare to pick them in our forest due to the bores.

So I just added these frozen jewels and they  balance the sweetness of julmust  prefectly.

We all love this meal and it isnt often we have beef.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Instant noodles. No additions and no subtractions. No redeeming features. No apologies. I was cold and hungry. Now I'm not.

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

Some recent meals.  At various times in the afternoon/night.

--------------------------------------------

• Fried rice.  Chopped smashed garlic, oil, ground chuck [Goose the Market], farm eggs, 2-day-old rice, chopped scallions, sea salt.

• Chinese kale (kai-lan).  Blanched in oiled boiling water, drizzled w/ ponzu sauce [Otafuku] & ground white pepper.

• Pickled Persian cucumbers, Korean radish, scallions, white roasted sesame seeds [JFC].

DSCN3361a_800.jpg

--------------------------------------------

• Tofu w/ ginger, hoisin sauce, okonomi sauce, chilli sauce, etc (from here) with more scallions & sliced tau pok [Nature’s Soy].  Eaten w/ min6 sin3 (Fuzhou-type wheat noodles) [Hung Ming]

• Small broccoli (a form of kale) florets stir-fried w/ garlic & salt.

DSCN3367a_800.jpg

---------------------------------------------

• Lettuce stems (a.k.a. celtuce, a.k.a. wosun, a.k.a. A-choy stems, a.k.a. asparagus lettuce) de-skinned & trimmed, stir-fried w/ sliced beef, garlic, and dashes of this-and-that.

• Wild rice [Bineshii].

DSCN3365b_600.jpg

DSCN3374b_800.jpg

• Pork, shrimp & snow pea sprout dumplings (shui kow) [Wei Chuan], in a soup made from chicken stock simmered w/ some oil, dried Chinese mushrooms & stems, and “stock fish” (small dried anchovies) [鴻昌隆 brand].  The mushroom caps were retrieved and added to the bowl of soup.

• Tender baby kale, *briefly* wilted in barely oiled water (using the water used to cook the dumplings, therefore slightly alkaline) then added to the bowl of soup.

DSCN3379a_800.jpg

• The night’s version of a simple tomato sauce (cut-up yellow onion, EV olive oil, cut-up leafy celery, broken up de-skinned tomatoes [Funny Bone Farm at IWFM], sea salt, cooked at a bare simmer (half-covered) for 45 min-1h).  Served over bucatini [Garofalo]. Pecorino Romano, parsley.

• Hot capicola slices [Goose the Market].

DSCN3384a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

A lobster being washed in a bath of electrolyzed water

RnRFmcjl.png

The coral, roe and head juices collected

G2W3HYal.png

Mixed

Ovudgq8l.png

heated, emulsified with olive oil, piment d'espelette, lemon juice and fleur de sel

JRaSHhKl.png

Tail and claws heated in lobster butter with branches of basil, dried fennel, garlic and black pepper.

dGPMBlDl.png

Plated and enjoyed.  :biggrin:

Ft5Pq15l.png
  • Like 13

image.jpg

Pasta with a sauce made from dried and fresh mushrooms and cream.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Okanagancook – that crackling is incredibly gorgeous!  I remember when grocery store pork roasts had nice fat caps and my dad and I would argue over the cracklings!

Ann – your Kaiser rolls and fries look especially delicious.  I’m fasting for bloodwork in the morning and those two things are what stopped me cold.  I am a fool for carbs!

David – the picture of the crab gratin just did me in.  Can I please have the recipe?  I’ll do whatever I have to do to find the crab!

rotuts – I like your ravioli in broth.  I do buy the prepared ones, but never thought to use them like that.  I’ll be giving that a try.

gfweb – I’d like to hear more about your chicken salad.  I am crazy about most versions and that sounds and looks really good.

We decorated our tree the other night and went with Mr. Kim’s family tradition – two fondues:

med_gallery_3331_114_4869.jpg

Vat o’ Béarnaise, horseradish sauce, BBQ sauce and steak sauce.  The only thing that I made from scratch is the horseradish sauce.  I also did tiny little steamed potatoes, but no picture. 

med_gallery_3331_114_38056.jpg

Vegetables and dips.

med_gallery_3331_114_153258.jpg

Pickly stuff.

med_gallery_3331_114_109330.jpg

Good chewy sourdough.

Dessert was, as customary, chocolate fondue.  Didn’t take a picture of the actual fondue – it was melted chocolate – but the dippers were:

med_gallery_3331_172_61257.jpg

Pound cake, marshmallows and coconut macaroons.

med_gallery_3331_172_74861.jpg

Dried fruit.

med_gallery_3331_172_79481.jpg

Bananas and maraschino cherries.

Last night was breakfast for dinner – Benton’s bacon, egg and cheese biscuits and pan fried potatoes (left over from our fondue dinner):

med_gallery_3331_114_13336.jpg

Pears, apples and tangerines:

med_gallery_3331_114_123490.jpg

We ordered the fruit from Florida through our niece – school fundraiser.  The apples were fine and the citrus good.  But the pears were amazing.  Tender and firm and fragrant and juicy.  The perfect pear.  I wish our stores got those.

• Like 8

Early dinner.

• Garlic chicken thighs.

• Stir-fried baby bok choy.

• White rice (basmati).

Rice bran oil, a few cloves of garlic, partly-halved large shallots, chicken thighs; sautéed on both sides briefly.  About 2 heads worth of garlic (cloves separated but skin left on) added, plus dark soy sauce [Yuet Heung Yuen], sang chau soy sauce [Kimlan], spash of fish sauce [Red Boat], ryori-shu [Morita], some water.  Simmered (covered) till done.

DSCN3391a_800.jpg

• Like 10

How bout a we bit of dessert!!

Dragon Fruit Granita:

So I came up with a granita, since the fruit is bland all by itself ( to me )--dragon fruit, simple syrup, fresh lime juice---and of course if its Dragon--there must be FIRE ( Scorpion pepper Powder )

IMG_7707.JPG

• Like 7

Its good to have Morels

Paul,

I don't know if I would like your dessert but I do know that I love your thought process!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of days ago I bagged a couple of chicken leg quarters up and cooked them SV 165f X 18+hr. Added a a couple of Tbs of butter and a small piece of fresh Rosemary and some dried thyme to the bag. Chilled it down and parked it in the fridge. Tonight I cooked them in a ripping hot oven and served with roasted brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes.

4c97a4a9c2616fa5d5bdd1e6fa4fd751.jpgd4f50a3ce22a8be05aaf4e050b8d9d9e.jpg

• Like 10

I recently made some scallops by first marinating them for six hours in some olive oil, minced onions and garlic, and lemon zest. I served them with some sunchoke puree, grapefruit-rutabaga jus, fennel fondant (sous vide in orange juice at 185 F for 45 minutes, then seared with the scallops), and brown rice crackers.

Some of these components were adapted from this recipe on starchefs.

tumblr_ngjhkmcy211rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 10