• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Michigan!

Daymia

Hi everyone!

I just found these forums about 2 weeks ago while searching for ways to improve my holiday chocolates! Oh, how I wish I had found them sooner!

I'm new to baking, having discovered a passion for it a few years ago while helping my sister-in-law make cookies. I made hundreds of cookies for a couple of years, and then discovered chocolates! Every year, I try to outdo myself somehow. The first year, I just made hand-dipped truffles; the second, I used more molds; and last year I added in polycarbonite molds and transfer sheets. This year, I'm planning on trying my hand at colored cocoa butter, and crossing my fingers that it's not a complete disaster!

I've taken a few culinary classes at the community college I work for, and I now help a friend in her home-based bakery. I've no idea where this will lead, but I'm happy at the moment to just claim it as a well-researched and expensive hobby!

• Like 2

Hi Daymia,

True, it is expensive...but then you or your friends or neighbors can eat it all, mistakes or best pieces.  And such a lot of friends you will have!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.