• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin in "pumpkin spice latte" recipes

Martin Baadsgaard

Here in Denmark we do not really have Starbucks. I think there are 5-6 in total.

Everyone tried the pumpkin spice latte though and people really enjoy it.

So I wanted to make a "syrup" or contrate to add to coffee to give the flavor.

Googling around gave me several suggestions for such a recipe, but for some odd reason, they all contain actual pumpkin.

The way I understand it, there is no pumpkin or pumpkin flavor in pumpkin spice latte.

Just the spices you would put in pumpkin pie.

So since I can't get to a starbucks to sample, I can't really compare and I'm just curious about people's input on this.

Would the typical pumpkin spice latte improve on some actual pumpkin, or is it just something people tend to add?

I'd say 'no', but that's probably unfair of me, since it's a matter of personal taste (and I grew up in a country where coffee is generally frowned upon if it is anything other than coffee-flavoured). Somehow, though, pumpkin in coffee sounds like a regrettable idea, although I can get behind adding spices.

Just to establish a baseline, Iød say it's worth the drive to Århus (yeh, I know, I know) and try Starbucks' actual offering: there are two Starbucks, one in Salling and one In Storcenter Nord, and as far as I know both are open 7 days a week at this time of year, if making it on a weekday is an impossiblilty (but park at the harbour, if you go to Salling, their parking garage is a nightmare these days).

ETA Supposedly, the pumpkin sauce Starbucks sells on its own is the same stuff they use in their coffee drinks, Fontana pumpkin sauce.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

They must be pretty new! I actually got access to free parking in Århus, close to Salling, but I have no car..

I was just curious for a bit of suggestive advice before making it as a little Christmas present for a friend. Sounded like the sauce wasn't available here.

I guess I have to make 2 versions, go to Århus, buy 3 lattes, add my syrups to 2 of them, compare the flavors and drink them all ;-) how's that for Christmas shopping trip!

• Like 1

All things being equal, would you prefer to make the syrup, or buy it? If you prefer to buy, and the DK Starbucks don't sell it, Torani makes a product that has a virtually identical ingredient profile (i.e. condensed milk+sugar syrup+flavours [most likely cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt]), and of course, you can get either of these on Amazon.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org