• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

Was it as big as a basketball?

Baseball.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In Spain this is eaten with a coffee as part of breakfast or a late breakfast. Also as part of tapas. This is comfort food in north eastern Spain. Extra toppings can be anchovies, Manchego (or similar hard, strong smelling cheese), ham etc.

Balearic island style tomato bread can be just (Tomàtiga de Ramellet,

a specific variety grown on these islands), or thinly sliced tomatoes pressed onto toasted bread. Topped with samphire, black olives and capers. Samphire is a common ingredient there. This Pa amb oli in Mallorca is eaten with a knife and fork.

edGUoGR.jpg

pleuzpN.jpg

5fm2BcA.jpg

AQKjnm4.jpg

• Like 9

BonVivant

How I would've liked to have been a guest at your lunch.

image.jpg

Sv'd chicken breast and stir-fried bok choy.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Have Rendang Chicken for lunch!

A dish cooked with red chilli, shallots, galangal, turmeric leaf, tamarind juice, shredded coconuts and coconut milk  It is our favourite over here.

rendang-one-piece.gif></a></p>

• Like 5

My name is KP Kwan. I am a pharmacist turned restaurateur who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have worked in my restaurant more than ten years and since year 2012.

I am also a food blogger.  You can read my blog at http://tasteasianfood.com/

I am looking forward to learning and contributing topics about culinary skills in this forum.

Okanagancook

Sardines on toast is one of my favorite fast meals. And Suvir's tomato chutney....oh my there are no words. Must, must make more. If everyone could have just a taste of it I think it might take over the world!

My 2004 eG Blog

Okanagancook

Sardines on toast is one of my favorite fast meals. And Suvir's tomato chutney....oh my there are no words. Must, must make more. If everyone could have just a taste of it I think it might take over the world!

Ha, so true.  My friend and I just made a double batch.  Best one yet and a great way to use up 16 pounds of garden tomatoes.  It goes really well this cucumber soup.  Hot yet refreshing.

• Like 2

Sure, the soup is really simple:

3 mediumIcucs, peeled seeded and whizzed in the food processor until finely chopped but not pureed (the first time I made this soup I chopped them by hand but not finely enough...the food processor does a good job)

1 medium onion (I used white) finely chopped

2 jalapeños, seeded if you like and finely chopped

1 T olive oil

1.5 t salt

2 cloves garlic, minced with salt on a board

2 T chopped cilantro

1 cup plain yogurt

1 to 1.5 cups water

chopped chives for garnish 

AND DON'T FORGET THE TOMATO CHUTNEY :wub:

• Like 2

Bloody hell.  Sorry folks.  Should be 2 cups of yogurt not 1 cup.   :angry:

So, here it is done right:

3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and whizzed in the food processor until finely chopped but not pureed.

1 medium onion, finely diced

2 jalapeños, seeded if you like, finely chopped

1 T olive oil

1.5 t salt

2 cloves garlic, minced with salt on a board

2 T cilantro, chopped

2 cups plain yogurt

1 to 1.5 cups water

chopped chives for garnishg

AND DON'T FORGET THE TOMATO CHUTNEY

• Like 3

Hummus Kawarma with lemon sauce....lamb neck and hummus from Jerusalem.  Very tasty especially with the weird looking lemon sauce that just made the dish sing.  My hummus was too pasty....needed more water.  I also should have drizzled some olive oil on top like the cookbook picture although the recipe says nothing about doing that. So very filling.  I am not interested in dinner at all.  It was a very healthy dish I might add.  The lamb neck meat was cleaned up to be very lean and with the hummus, a great combo.  Had some freshly made bread from my DH and a salad.

DSC01031.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

• Like 5

image.jpg

image.jpg

Crustless vegetable quiche with mushrooms, corn, onions and spinach.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the inspiration Bon Vivant! I was just gifted with some lovely tomatoes and this looks like a great way to make the best of them.

My 2004 eG Blog

^ I used this variety which is very fleshy and heavy. The little ones are super sweet. The giant fleshy ones are also delicious. Have tried to find the name of this variety and got "beef tomatoes"  but it really is not.

Green saucy thing is simply marjoram and olive oil. Marjoram is so fine and sweet and goes perfectly with tomatoes.

(Note that it's best to eat tomatoes with some kind of fat.)

Enjoy your tomatoes, Anna N!

image.jpg

Lunch for the non-tradition bound. Bubble and squeak with kimchi.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog