• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

image.jpg

Grilled vegetables.

image.jpg

With a sesame dressing which made even the eggplant edible!

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Black bean tacos. Homemade tortillas, which I will someday master. Broccoli.

I'm a vegetarian - for 5 minutes.

I am trying to stretch it to seven minutes.
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today was Japanese style seafood ramen served in my Chinese friend's tiny restaurant. Everything is made on the premises from the pig bone stock to the noodles.

sr.jpg

I would love to say that this was followed by this beautiful ice cream. But the Chinese have never really got the concept of serial servings, so the ice cream arrived first.

I went for this:

dic.jpg

Home made Durian Ice Cream with Watermelon.

My companion had this:

mic.jpg

Home made Mango Ice Cream with Watermelon.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

As so often happens chez moi a meal is determined by what is fast approaching or just beyond its best before date. Two ears of corn would no longer live up to their promise if cooked on the cob and treated as though they were fresh. I stripped the kernels from the cob tossed them in the frying pan with some butter and quickly sautéed them so they picked up just a little colour. Tossed with some finely chopped tomatoes, red onion, scallions and grated carrots and dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar and a few drops of agave nectar they made a texturally interesting salad. A small bowl of Molly Katzen's sweet potato and pear soup completed my lunch.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

My husband never gets tired of grilled cheese. I wish this was at least home-made bread but it did come from an excellent local bakery. :smile:  And a simple side salad of Persian cukes and sweet peppers. A bit boring. 

IMGP4186.JPG

IMGP4190.JPG

• Like 6

FauxPas

Can't get enthusiastic about grilled cheese sandwiches yours or anyone's but I would hardly describe that colourful salad as boring. And if I did like grilled cheese sandwiches, I bet I would love yours as it looks just perfectly grilled.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Finished work at 8 am today in the little town of Dunnville - someone mentioned the market was open - seemed a good idea to hit before the long drive home.

Asparagus, new potatoes, strawberries - and a couple of these lovely big tomatoes.

Which made a wonderful bacon, cheese and tomato sandwich.

IMG_0398.jpg

• Like 6

My husband never gets tired of grilled cheese.

Me neither. Good bread and a nice cheese preferred... but if you spread margarine on Wonder bread and slap a couple Kraft singles in the middle, I'm still in.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I missed recording a couple of Wellfleet lunches because I forgot my camera when we came back out Wednesday night.   Luckily my sister stopped by my house and brought it out with her on Friday evening.  Yesterday we went back to Winslow's Tavern.  

Tabasco-lime broiled oysters

winslows tabasco oysters.jpg

Miso broiled oysters

winslows miso oysters.jpg

proscuitto sandwich

winslows proscuitto sandwich.jpg

pear salad

winslows pear salasd.jpg

burger

winslows burger.jpg

kale caesar salad with shrimp

winslows kale caesar.jpg

sliced salad

winslows sliced salad.jpg

chocolate mousse

winslows chocolate mousse.jpg

salted caramel tart

winslows salted caramel tart.jpg

we are back out here in three weeks.  My waistline says that it is time for home cooked lunches in the interim...

shadow.jpg

• Like 7

We had curry  from last night, in home made naan wraps with lettuce  and candy tomatoes ( got to love the  seller, they sell small multi coloured  tomatoes as candy  and the kids love it).

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

The rest of the sweet potato and pear soup and a salad of beets, walnuts and blue cheese dressed with yogurt and sour cream.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

btpc sandwich.jpg

Bacon, tomato (love those sandwich-sized tomatoes, so just one slice makes a great sandwich) and pimiento cheese sandwich. Homemade pimiento cheese (preserve me from the grocery store stuff!), homemade white sandwich bread, lightly toasted.

pudding.jpg

And a leftover vanilla custard with fresh raspberries.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Radishes braised with bacon and shallots and served over orzo.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Egg and mushroom bake accompanied by green beans stir fried with garlic, hot pepper flakes and sesame oil.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Nigel Slater inspired spinach salad including walnut oil dressing, crumbled feta, sliced oranges and pumpkin seeds.  Lentil and greens soup from D. Madison.

Must be on serving # 6 of veggies for the day already :blink:

DSC00901.JPG

• Like 6