• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

What do you make when you have fresh homemade flour tortillas, a duck leg that has been SV'd, a cup or less of diced, canned tomatoes and a few slices of cheese? Why Masagne of course! Mexican lasagne. You doctor the leftover tomatoes with some onion, jalapeno, salt and lime juice. You cut the flour tortillas to fit your dish. You layer tortillas, shredded duck, salsa and cheese and bake until done.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

WoW

AnnaN

im pretty much dead for my meal

but a layered  home made or not  tortilla does wonders  w all sorts of fillings

duck Ive never thought of

for me its more or less Ck Vertical from the grill  

but i do have a Quaker in the Fz'r and Ill keep this in mind

delicious Id be that was 

Road trip with daughter yesterday to Little Rock to take grandson to Children's Hospital for a second opinion on a problematic ear condition; good report, and we stopped for dinner and later dessert on on the two-hour drive back home.

First, a burger and fries at Big Orange, a local chain of very excellent burger places. You can get everything from truffle and wagyu burgers to turkey burgers with miso and ginger, and a multitude of other offerings. We split a bacon/avocado burger, with the bacon from a local packing company, Petit Jean Meats (excellent cured meats; info here). The beef is from a local grower, and the pre-cooked patty is an eight-ouncer.

big o burger.jpg

It came with a good half-inch of chunky avocado puree spread over one side of the bun, and lettuce and tomato on the other. Bun from a local bakery. Plenty to split. I had sweet potato fries, and she had regular. Grandson had a grilled cheese and appeared to like it just fine.

Got half-way home and stopped at a little dairy bar type place that's noted in Northeast Arkansas for good food (love their smoked chicken sandwich!) and, this time of year, their strawberry shortcake. 

bulldog shortcake.jpg

Really more of a sundae, as it has soft-serve on the bottom, topped with macerated strawberries, surrounded by rectangular shortbread wafers dusted in sugar before they're baked, and topped with whipped cream and chopped pecans. Astoundingly good. I asked them once how many they served a day during the season -- the answer? About 200 or 300. In a town whose population is about 1,800, but people come from MILES away to eat there during strawberry season. Later in the year, they'll shift to a peach shortcake which is the same model, and just as good.

Made a long day and drive worth it.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

First, a burger and fries at Big Orange, a local chain of very excellent burger places. You can get everything from truffle and wagyu burgers to turkey burgers with miso and ginger, and a multitude of other offerings. We split a bacon/avocado burger, with the bacon from a local packing company, Petit Jean Meats (excellent cured meats; info here). The beef is from a local grower, and the pre-cooked patty is an eight-ouncer.

Meant to express that the weight prior to cooking was 8 ounces. Didn't do a very good job of expressing that. Sorry.

Don't ask. Eat it.

IMG_20150506_112656.jpg

Smoked pork spareribs. Alkaline noodle. Onion from garden. 

Broth is that mystery stuff from the bottle that makes soup or dip-condiment per ratio of water and a frozen chicken stock-cube.

• Like 3

Yesterday- it was fried rice with field greens...

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

image.jpg

Iberico ham on freshly made and lightly toasted baguette. The ham was a gift from Spain and I felt like a millionaire eating my lunch.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Due to my on-going house moving nightmare, I am kitchen-less. Well, that's not true. I have two! But the essential equipment such as a cooker and pots and pans are somewhere in transit.

So today, lunch was taken in a local restaurant. A Japanese restaurant in China. With a friend who was helping organise a new internet connection for the new place. (She works for the telecom company.)

We ate:

bs.jpgBaby Squid in a Spicy Sauce

sca.jpg

Scallop Sushi

ss.jpg

Salmon Sushi

cb.jpg

Cuttlefish Balls

sm.jpg

Blowtorch 'roasted' salmon with Kewpie mayonnaise (not my favourite!)

sts.jpg

Salmon and Tuna Sashimi

rgl.jpg

Blowtorch Roasted Goose Liver with Mango Sushi (this was good. We had seconds.)

We also had some tuna sushi which I seem to have neglected to photograph. It was my companion who ordered to the two dishes with Kewpie. When we arrived in the restaurant she announced that she had never eaten raw fish and felt strange about doing so, but was game enough to try. She is a convert!. She especially loved the salmon.

Hopefully I will be back to a semblance of normality next week. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

would you be willing to share the pastry recipe for those patties??   looks awesome. 

Sure, it was a combination of recipes but here is what I did and it is essential that you make the Jamaican curry powder otherwise the taste just won't be right.

For the dough:

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 tablespoon Jamaican curry powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup lard (102 grams)

ice water

Cut the lard into the dry ingredients then add enough ice water for the dough to come together.  It's pastry dough so don't knead it too much.  Rest the dough for at least 12 hours in the fridge.

For the filling:

1 onion, chopped

2 green onions, chopped

chillies to your taste, fresh or dried

3/4 lb ground beef

3 tablespoon oil

3/4 bread crumbs

1/2 teaspoon thyme (I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh)

1 teaspoon Jamaican curry powder

salt and pepper

1/2 cup water

1 egg yolk

Saute the beef until browned and remove from pan.  Saute the onions, thyme and curry powder with the oil until softened and slightly browned.  Stir in the browned beef, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and water.  Simmer for 30 minutes adding more water as needed.  Cool until needed.

Jamaican curry powder:

4 teaspoons coriander seeds, ground

4 teaspoons ground turmeric

1 teaspoon fenugreek, ground

4 teaspoons ground ginger

4 teaspoons black pepper, ground

1 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds (the inner black ones)

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into whatever size rounds you want for your patties…around 5 inches.  Place filling in the round, wet the edges and seal with a fork.  Place on parchment paper and brush with egg yolk to get that nice brown and shinny finish.  Bake in a 400F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I just saw an error, sorry.  That should be 3/4 cup bread crumbs!  Double checked everything else and all is good.  You may need more pastry, depending on how generously you fill the patties so I actually made double the dough and had a little left over after filling all my patties.  I find that happens a lot with something like this which has a filling.

Anyways, enjoy them hot from the oven with a salad.  Oh, a rum and orange cocktail goes well with them.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Root vegetable frittata and coleslaw with Asian flavours.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The first bacon, tomato and avocado sandwich of the season. There IS bacon on there, I promise. Just not a whole lot. I was much more intent on the tomato and avocado.

tomato n avocado sandwich.jpg

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

I had to look that^^^ up to make sure the toppings were what I thought they were. Peanuts, green bean, green onion and some sort of sliced cured meat (ham?). One other item I can't tell- Some sort of spicy julienned bamboo shoots?

Gravy dry noodles with well chopped condiments! I like.

Found an amusing and short vid from the "Menu Stealer" about the dish...

Edited by radtek (log)

One other item I can't tell- Some sort of spicy julienned bamboo shoots?

Pickled, spicy bamboo shoots, yes.

This version came with ham, but fresh pork is more common.

This thread has a bit more info.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I came home from grocery shopping much later than I expected wanting nothing more than to sit down to something to eat but other non-human mouths had other ideas! After they were dealt with I tossed together a quick salad of turkey sausage (don't ask, rotuts), Campari tomatoes, some torn romaine leaves, and homemade garlic croutons simply dressed with oil and vinegar. Not the most imaginative nor the most elegant but it did the trick.

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I imagine that there's nothing wrong w Turk.Saus.

as you were in a hurry, browning the casing ....  well

TJ's has a large number of Ck.lSaus.  it took some time to consider them

then they had a few for 'tasting'  very little CkFat, so Ive tried them

they do what they do, and quite well for me when I brown the casing a bit.

I had so many balls in the air that roasting the sausage in the Breville XL left me free to deal with other non-food issues. The casing was obviously synthetic so I am not sure how much of an improvement browning it would have made.

I am not a fan of turkey in any guise and while this sausage may have met my protein requirements it fell far short of meeting my taste buds even halfway.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

We've just returned from spending a month travelling in Thailand, Lao, Vietnam, and Cambodia. The food was incredible, and I REALLY want to replicate some of my favourite dishes.

However, 4 days after our return, I was hit with major stomach issues that kept me off work and on the toilet for 4 days. :sad:

I noticed Ramen made quite a few appearances on egullet and also on my table. It was the most comforting thing to eat! Most of the time, it was just with the seasoning packet and a head of Romaine lettuce.

Today, I felt well enough to make a different noodle soup, a feeble attempt at something we had in Hu, Vietnam,  at a school training kids off the street to make rice noodles and basic cooking skills. The school is called Oodles of Noodles. The students were very engaging and after the demos, they served us the most delicious bowl of soup. Not sure if it's pho, but that'll do!

OodlesNoodlesSoup.jpg

I had the flat rice noodles at home, some commercial pho seasoning cubes, and other ingredients. Nothing like Oodles of Noodles, but it hit the spot.

My soup had quail eggs, baby shrimp, a pork rib from a roast, soybean sprouts, baby bok choy jr., cilantro. I couldn't find any Thai basil in town, so skipped the squeeze of lime and added sesame oil

EgulletRiceNoodleSoupQuailEggs6230.jpg

Hubby had a Denver / Western sandwich - basically an omelet with bacon, green peppers, mushrooms, cumin gouda squished between toasted French bread. 

eGulletDenverSand13May6229.jpg

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpg

The missing cabbage roll was my lunch. Quality assurance at work.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Today's Healthy Lunch
Wild Rice * hand harvested / Pink Shrimp marinated in white wine and Black Pepper and Scorpion Powder/ grilled asparagus/ in a sesame lemon vinaigrette with Pumpkin seeds.

.Damn I couldn't find my golden raisins

IMG_8056.JPG

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 6

Its good to have Morels