• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

Note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Lunch What'd ya have! (2014)

image.jpg

Roasted beets, walnuts and St. Agur blue cheese salad with a small bowl of pickled mushrooms on the side.

Edited by Smithy
Updated title. (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20141211_105610_zpsbc0d7ed1.jpg

My daughter and I played sous chef,  I was the sous chef.   My daughter decided for  twig, potatoes, saffron, cream, stock  and peas.   Twig is her word for leak so this turned out to a really lovely soup.  

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

So lunch today was a bit of a dress rehearsal for tonight's dinner. I impulsively invited company as I mentioned in another topic without checking inventory. I have potatoes but only a very few but I think I can stretch them to satisfy everyone's appetite by doing these mini pommes Anna. (you can Google for the recipe using "mini-herbed pommes Anna"). I wanted to make sure that I would not run into difficulties with the recipe hence the dress rehearsal. The potatoes, the remaining duck breast and a few cornichons made a fine lunch. And for those who think that smoked duck breast is an expensive extravagance, this one made at least three meals for me.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

This is the kind of cooking that brings me the greatest pleasure. Humble ingredients combined in unexpected ways.

Cabbage and apple sautéed just until the cabbage starts to wilt then a little white wine added along with some seasoning. Cook just until the ingredients get to to know one another yet the cabbage still has some crispiness. A few croutons browned in some olive oil and a little blue cheese crumbled on top.

Edited to add that the inspiration came from Nigel Slater.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Home-made potato bread and SV'd chuck eye (both from my freezer) with a few olives and cornichons.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Very late lunch sandwich....dark toasted whole grain white bread, several leaves of iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, hickory smoked bacon and coleslaw with  my new obsession - Cain's mayonnaise.  So simple but so full of flavor and crunch.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I Had the ultimate. The "Italian" at Mendocino Farms in West Hollywood. Yum I love this place. They even smoke their own pastrami. I have not tried the Pastrami Yet but I am sure looking forward to it. Talk about it fellow foodies. Also, Bottomless grape lemonade and super cool vibe at the place.

Check it out. I will follow up on the pastrami some other day. Can't wait.

Edited by Smithy
Member request (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

The family will not be around for Christmas hence I have only myself to spoil so while grocery shopping yesterday I grabbed some domestic prosciutto and some pickled walnuts. Prosciutto is a storebrand but quite acceptable.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

gfweb would you mind sharing your recipes for the madelaines?

In my own crabbed handwriting...

Makes a somewhat crumbly cornbread. (Cake-like cornbread is an abomination., but if you like that, increase the flour and egg.)

At the bottom are the baking times for my pans and ovens.

IMG_20141226_143015_611.jpg

image.jpg

Cavatelli with bacon, peas and cream.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

gfweb, that looks wonderful. How do you do your sprouts? I like the sound of orange glaze on them, and I'm in citrus country at the moment.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

gfweb, that looks wonderful. How do you do your sprouts? I like the sound of orange glaze on them, and I'm in citrus country at the moment.

Thanks!

Halved sprouts are blanched for about 4 minutes or less if smallish..then put cut side down in a pan with a little hot oil  and fried till dark brown.  Then I pour a solution of orange marmalade and a little water in (put in enough water to get the marmalade to spread evenly I guess 2:1 orange M to H2o)...just enough to cover the pan about 1/8 to 1/4 " and cook it down with the sprouts sitting in the developing glaze. I do something similar with maple syrup.

Whole process takes about 15 minutes, I guess.

• Like 3

Vegatable Dumpling Soup in a Pork Broth

Broth-  this was made from Pork Spine, onion and garlic  ( this was for Pozole I was makin )/ to which I added a bit of Picante/ green onion

additions to the soup:

Vegtable dumpling ( commercial )

Tofu-- I had a quick marinade in Hoisin

aged Bok Choy

shitake mushrooms ( canned )

sweated leeks

fresh green onions

IMG_7748.JPG

I now I have to work on mine making it look like Huiray's  :)    _ nicely organized   :wub:

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

gfweb – lovely looking turkey salad!

We had some friends and my mother in for lunch after church this Sunday.  I made my mother’s vegetable soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_6930.jpg

And the most amazingly delicious cheese toast I’ve ever tasted:

med_gallery_3331_114_93913.jpg

I was looking for a special cheese toast to serve with the fairly ordinary vegetable soup.  I wanted something that would elevate the everyday soup and this recipe did it. The recipe itself is very good, but the Cheddar that I used was what really made the difference. I found Montgomery’s Cheddar from Manor Farm in Somerset, UK at Southern Season. This is one of the best cheeses I’ve ever had. Truly remarkable and set this cheese toast apart from any I’ve ever made. I made the cheese mixture the day ahead of time and just let it come to room temperature before spreading on the bread. We had a couple of pieces left over and I toasted one and made a sandwich with some good ham – incredible.

I do not know why this always happens to me when I make vegetable soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_149175.jpg

See the stock pot on the right?  That’s what I started my soup in.  Somehow in getting all the vegetables even and getting it liquid enough, that one medium stock pot ended up being one stock pot and two Dutch ovens FULL of soup.  We have vegetable soup coming out of our ears.  I’ve forced containers of  it on everyone who has stopped by the house in the last 3 days!  This happens EVERY TIME I make vegetable soup! :wacko:  :laugh:

• Like 5

Mexican lasagna with chorizo, jalapeno, tomato, queso fresca. Cheese on top was queso hebra which looks and feels like mozzarella, and melts, but then gets leathery with continued baking. Que sabia?

Tasted good anyway.

IMG_20150101_140051_738.jpg

• Like 2