• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patron Anejo

mickblueeyes

Patron’s distillery is located high in the mountains of Jalisco and is a family operation. The soil in the mountains is clay and has a his ferrous oxide content, which makes it perfect for growing Agave Weber Azul, or blue agave. The 8-9 yr old agave hearts are carefully cleaned before steam baking to ensure no “bitter sprouts” remain behind. After 36 hours of baking, the agave is macerated using large stone milling wheels. The juice and fibers are fermented for up to 72 hours. The “must”, or fermented brew, is then double distilled in copper pot stills, balanced with water and filtered. It is then aged in small white oak barrels. Though Patron does not carry an age statement, following industry standards, it is likely between 3 and 5 years old.

The color of the Patron Anejo is a pale straw gold, indicating it may be closer to the 3-year mark than the five-year mark. The nose is immediately of pungent agave (cooked vegetal aroma) with very light pepper and hints of honeyed oak. The palate is semisweet with nice tropical fruit components and light oakiness. The finish is slightly peppery on a background of honeyed sweetness.

Overall, this is a great introduction to premium tequila. The quality is superb, but experienced connoisseurs may find it a bit thin on the palate. However, it is not to be neglected, as it would be a fantastic afternoon or after-lunch tequila. Definitely a must try tequila and highly recommended for those new to premium tequilas.

Patron Anejo was what I cut my teeth on when I decided to learn about premium tequila. I was advised to chill it in the freezer--I don't know about that, though, seems chilling would dampen the flavors immensely. . . .