• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Country treasures

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

What's a trady -ie, please?

Tradesperson/tradesman because we have to shorten everything. I didn't mention because it goes without saying, that the British and American has a BottleO - bottle shop for take away alcohol, especially tinnies of premix (aluminium cans of things like Jim Beam and Coke)

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

5 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Tradesperson/tradesman because we have to shorten everything. I didn't mention because it goes without saying, that the British and American has a BottleO - bottle shop for take away alcohol, especially tinnies of premix (aluminium cans of things like Jim Beam and Coke)

Thanks. Not an expression I've come across before.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...

Took a few pictures of the British and American when I went back for more takeaway. Apparently dine in is open with restricted numbers now. They didn't have the Tandoori Chicken available and I asked if I should call farther in advance if I wanted it, they insisted on taking my phone number to call me when they were doing some up. So I guess I'm going to have unexpected chicken some night.

20210930_182451.thumb.jpg.b849b5f135d21aacd9452a0454e370af.jpg

Lest you think alcohol is really inexpensive, those are the prices for premix tinnies bourbon and cola so more or less equivalent to a can of beer.

20210930_182514.thumb.jpg.9cf37bf5451d16713e9693c0eb3c349b.jpg

20210930_182700.thumb.jpg.6c2b087a02ff4d32a39361ab3e50d582.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

image.thumb.jpeg.af60382fd1d1b744758fbb3b1a041762.jpeg

Not a place I was expecting to see in my small city.

My partner is overseas and I mentioned to my barista that I should have some duck, since she isn't big on it. He told me about this Korean BBQ in the city centre and said I couldn't miss it. Decided on a duck wrap since I wanted the salad. Not huge but very nice. The skin wasn't crispy, but was ok. I'll have to try the crispy pork (hanging on the far right) next time. I sat at a picnick table outside to eat since it was a rare sunny day for our wet winter/spring and because I didn't want to share with the Dalmatians.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The Koreans have established a beach head. In contrast to my previous post, where the focus was on selling meat, especially pork and duck, without a lot of effort on the rest of the food, we now can get cook-it-yourself on the table grill Korean BBQ at the somewhat dodgy looking Cambrian Hotel, aptly named for a gold rush town. It was a bit expensive but plenty of food including a variety of marinated and non-marinated beef, pork, and lamb. I forgot to take pictures of the dipping sauces and sides but the homemade kimchi was very good. Nice selection of microbrews, too.

20230125_175626.thumb.jpg.07dda205a8f866bc20addaefca0e009f.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.6731e14a047e35d6771702b976756aac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0267f8863777b5f5ac8caefe7fac8543.jpeg

• Like 2

I love the header "Weird/Cellar Beers"...and the name at the bottom, "Brew York Rhubarbra Streisand". Not sure I'd try it, but it's fun to see!

What is IIPA, as in "Cornella Heavy Rain IIPA"?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I love the header "Weird/Cellar Beers"...and the name at the bottom, "Brew York Rhubarbra Streisand". Not sure I'd try it, but it's fun to see!

What is IIPA, as in "Cornella Heavy Rain IIPA"?

Imperial Indian Pale Ale. Sometimes called DIPA (Double Imperial Pale Ale). https://justbeerapp.com/article/beer-styles-201-doubleimperial-ipa

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 year later...