• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Humble Holiday Treats

tinyragebaking

Hello everyone! 

I just finished making a batch of rice krispie treats with chopped fresh rosemary. I did about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons...on the edge of being TOO woodsy! It is a humble offering but very addictive.  The standard recipe calls for 3/4 TB butter, but I almost always use the following: 1/4 cup unsalted butter, 15 oz of large marshmallows, and about 6 liquid measure cups of rice cereal. It makes for a much more chewy, moist and buttery treat!

1DHmmd5.jpg

What is everybody's favorite simple candy, cake or cookie that they like to bake for the holiday season? :) 

• Like 3

Market nougat.

I a bowl add 600 ml flour, 400 ml icing sugar / powdered sugar  and 100 ml unsweetened  cocoa, stir to combine.

Papper a not to large  square tin ( I dont know the size and cant check at the moment)

In a pot add 125 gram butter, 575 ml sugar and 175 ml water. When it starts melting, let it cook for 2 minutes not more.

Mix the wet with a dry and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.  Now pour it out on  the tray and let it cool.  Cut into small squares, like ½ inchx½ inch or less.

YUM.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Deryn: the heat from the butter mixture cooks the  flour enough.  

Tiny: It is dense, but still  crumble in the mouth,  if you doing wrong it becomes rubbery or  like brick.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I am making your Rosemary Rice Krispy Treats asap!  Love Rosemary Shortbread, and this will be a lot quicker.  You've given me a reason to get excited about starting my holiday baking.  Going to also make some sugared cranberries-very easy and different. Its a Carla Hall recipe.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

Decades ago my stepdaughter used to make fudge and while it was still in the stirable stage, add rice crispies or rice chex, etc.  Managing to stir in much more than seemed possible.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett