• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That small appliance you thought you could not live without ... where is it now?

Anna N

Joe Blowe : Of course "schlag"! How can I manage to confuse what are about the only 2 words I know in German! Ouch!.

Elaina

You never know when you're going to find yourself in circumstances where you need to shout Schlag! Schnell!

Especially at this time of year.

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Really? I have SVS and a circulator (and several other SV machiens) and SVS still gets constant use, if nothing else because it gains any circulator on long cooking process: totally silent, very well insulated, doesn't reset if electricity goes down for just a few seconds...

Yes, really.  I don't use it a heck of a lot, due to lack of space, schlepping it down from a top shelf, etc. Now that I've got the Anova, in a drawer right next to  my range, that will be my primary sous vide appliance.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I use mine all the time for:

• making nut butters from my home-roasted nuts -much tastier than store bought, and I can make amounts as needed, keeping fresh nuts in freezer
  • making smooth soups -I have a friend who doesn't like chunky tomato bits in soup or sauce
  • hummus -I start by roasting nuts, then making nut butter, then adding the garbanzos and seasoning
  • homemade sauces like BBQ sauce from scratch and ketchup
  • purees to add to pasta dough for flavor, or as pasta filling
  • pureed raw onion in quantity as a base various Indian dishes

I got myself a couple of sizes of steel milkshake cups to use with the immersion blender. In some cases, like soups, you can just blend inside the cooking pot. As others have mentioned, it's a LOT easier to wash than an old-school blender.

Beating a couple of eggs for scrambling or making Egg Foo Yung. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I think Schlag! Schnell! is my new mantra.

Elaina

I remember when I first went to live in a small village of numerous German-speaking folks in Wisconsin, I was startled when someone would yell "Mach schnell!" at me and my stepdad had to explain that it meant "make haste" - having grown up in the south, this was something of a foreign concept.

Schlag did not enter my vocabulary until I began working in my mom's bakery.  We did a lot of pastries with cream - the real stuff, not the ersatz.  Cream horns filled with pastry cream AND whipped cream were a big seller - especially after Sunday mass.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have to confess to yet another peccadillo.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Around here [southern Ontario] the Asian stores carry the most tempting electrical cooking appliances. I have had this for sometime and have used it once or twice.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

more than one way to make room for a CSB Id guess !

:biggrin:

Not unless it can be shrunk to the size of a large ramen bowl and operated inside a buffet cabinet.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Andie – I’d really love to have that bratwurst recipe!

My panini maker is wonderful and I love using it.  I adore my Vitamix.  I have a pressure cooker that I’ve used a few times.  An electric deep fryer – I’ve been dying for fish and chips for the past month, but can’t face digging it out.  They are all in the attic and I don’t use them as often as I’d like because getting them out is such a PITA.  I have a very small kitchen, very little storage and almost no counter space.  I have to use the attic as an extremely inconvenient butler’s pantry.  I’d love to use these more often and my New Year’s resolution is to organize the attic so that they are more accessible. 

I have a wonderful apple peeler that would be wonderful to use since I have arthritis in both hands, but it latches to a table top and I don’t have a proper place to latch it to, so it lives in the attic, too.  Mr. Kim won a fantastic juicer in a radio contest and I use it maybe once a year to make Granny Smith ice. 

The electric knife that I have is useless.  The base is designed in such a way that the hand holding it slides forward while slicing.  But it is in the living room closet!

I bought a pasta machine for myself a couple of years ago.  Never got it out of the box.  I have NO idea why – I love fresh pasta, it is easy to make, etc.  

• Like 2

I have a wonderful apple peeler that would be wonderful to use since I have arthritis in both hands, but it latches to a table top and I don’t have a proper place to latch it to, so it lives in the attic, too... 

I believe Alton Brown uses his ironing board for his pasta machine that has a counter/table clamp. Would the same trick work for your apple peeler?

Regarding your pasta machine, I gave my brother a pasta machine for his birthday and he's in 7th heaven over it. I think we're all getting fresh-made dried pasta for Christmas, which I am looking forward to receiving. His samples/attempts so far have been delicious. Maybe it'll be a project for you in the New Year?
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Andie – I’d really love to have that bratwurst recipe!

My panini maker is wonderful and I love using it. I adore my Vitamix. I have a pressure cooker that I’ve used a few times. An electric deep fryer – I’ve been dying for fish and chips for the past month, but can’t face digging it out. They are all in the attic and I don’t use them as often as I’d like because getting them out is such a PITA. I have a very small kitchen, very little storage and almost no counter space. I have to use the attic as an extremely inconvenient butler’s pantry. I’d love to use these more often and my New Year’s resolution is to organize the attic so that they are more accessible.

I have a wonderful apple peeler that would be wonderful to use since I have arthritis in both hands, but it latches to a table top and I don’t have a proper place to latch it to, so it lives in the attic, too. Mr. Kim won a fantastic juicer in a radio contest and I use it maybe once a year to make Granny Smith ice.

The electric knife that I have is useless. The base is designed in such a way that the hand holding it slides forward while slicing. But it is in the living room closet!

I bought a pasta machine for myself a couple of years ago. Never got it out of the box. I have NO idea why – I love fresh pasta, it is easy to make, etc.

My apple peeler is the one with the vacuum base.

Here's the recipe. I had to type it out as I mentally went through my process.

Brats with apples and onions

2 - 3 tablespoons butter or lard or bacon drippings

4 to 6 brats, depending on size - I prefer the fresh ones that are about 4 inches long but the packaged ones are okay. - cut into 1-inch chunks

2 large apples peeled and cored and cut into chunks

1 large or two small onions, cut into chunks

Scant 1/2 teaspoon of cumin If you don't like cumin, use ground caraway, rosemary or thyme. Any herb or spice that enhances apples and pork.

fresh ground black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon should be enough

taste before salting after dish has cooked about 3/4 through.

3 cups of apple cider.

Heat the fat till it sizzles

Stir in the cumin and allow it to "bloom"

Brown the brat chunks in the fat

Stir in the apples and onions

If you aren't able to brown stovetop in the CrockPot liner, transfer to the ceramic insert of your slow cooker.

Add the cider

Set temp to high and cook for 30 minutes (may continue on high or medium for an additional hour to finish right away)

Reduce to low and cook for 3 hours or more until ready to serve.

Variation: Add sweet potatoes cut into chunks along with an additional cup of cider.

I serve this with dumplings, large flat noodles or rice.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a heavy-duty electric "dutch oven" that looks more like a large rectangular skillet than a dutch oven. It was a mistake. I envisioned gala parties with buffet servings of some lovely dish in that appliance. To be sure it is nonstick; it heats evenly; it has a good heavy glass lid and a strap with which to anchor the lid down for transport; it is dishwasher safe. Those are all good qualities, and it would have been an excellent buy at $30 or $40, about half what I actually paid for it, but I still haven't gotten much use out of it because those parties never materialized. It occupies space on the bottom shelf of a bookcase in the spare bedroom. I keep thinking I should try selling it, or else donate it to someone who genuinely needs it.

My ice cream makers (2), wand blenders (1 for the trailer, 1 for the house) and pasta machine (which travels with us) all get occasional use and I'm glad to have them. There's a battery-powered Kitchenaid "Professional" line of wand blender with changeable heads so that one can whisk, chop or blend with it. I keep wondering whether I'd get enough use to (barely) justify the staggering $300, or it would be an embarrassing extravagance like the dutch oven.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Andie, I can't tell you how excited I am that you posted the Brats recipe. I was looking for some comfort food to make for dinner since the rain is making for a rather bleak day. I have transcribed it, added it to my recipe folder, and printed it. I'll make some home-made spatzle to go with it. I've got some Saag's Gordon Bierch Beer Brats that I will use. The only change to the recipe is that after browning the brats I will remove them and cook the onion for a bit. I have two adults in this household that strongly dislike onions that have any real texture left. Thanks!!!

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I got to try one of the recharageable stick blenders - it did not have enough power for my purpose - I tried it in potato soup and it kept lagging.

I also tried whipping heavy cream until it broke - to make a small batch of butter and it stopped completely when the stuff got thick and I had to finish with my corded one. 

I think the one I borrowed was a Cuisinart.  I don't think the KitchenAid was yet available.

Andie, I can't tell you how excited I am that you posted the Brats recipe. I was looking for some comfort food to make for dinner since the rain is making for a rather bleak day. I have transcribed it, added it to my recipe folder, and printed it. I'll make some home-made spatzle to go with it. I've got some Saag's Gordon Bierch Beer Brats that I will use. The only change to the recipe is that after browning the brats I will remove them and cook the onion for a bit. I have two adults in this household that strongly dislike onions that have any real texture left. Thanks!!!

Do you ever use the microwave "steamer" bags.  I can tell you a "trick" for making onions more palatable for folks who don't like them.  punch 4-6 holes in the whole onion - depending on size - stick in whole cloves.  Put in one of the steamer bags and microwave on medium power for 3 minutes.  Allow to cool and then remove the cloves, chop into chunks and add to the dish.  It is a suprising "conversion" and sweetens the onions and lessens the "bite" if the onion is particularly strong.

I actually learned this decades ago when I got my first RadarRange in the late '60s.  The instructor that showed me how to use it showed me how to do this but at that time the onion was wrapped in wax paper and then put in a small brown paper lunch bag.  It still works.

• Like 1

Earlier this morning I came across another unwanted, unworkable appliance.

An electric wok, made by West Bend which NEVER got hot enough for stir-fry or any other suggested use.  I can't recall if I bought it or it was a gift.  Useless. 

• Like 1

I got to try one of the recharageable stick blenders - it did not have enough power for my purpose - I tried it in potato soup and it kept lagging.

I also tried whipping heavy cream until it broke - to make a small batch of butter and it stopped completely when the stuff got thick and I had to finish with my corded one.

I think the one I borrowed was a Cuisinart. I don't think the KitchenAid was yet available.

The Kitchenaid set has been getting good reviews from people who were dissatisfied with other sets, including the Cuisinart, for the very reason you mention. I wish I could try one of these sets before buying. Maybe the best idea would be to have 'Santa' get me one from a place with a good return policy. ;-)
  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I never thought I would say my blender was superfluous, but I several years ago the one I had fell apart--the plastic parts gave out and the bottom fell off. The said blender was in my kitchen in Germany, which means that it needed to be recycled. Getting rid of the blasted thing was a pain in the bottom end.

I began a search for its replacement, this time wise to the inadvisability of plastic in blender design. I discovered that all of the blenders available in local store were primarily plastic. I refused to buy and instead used a stick blender (purchased more than 12 years ago in a thrift shop). After several months, I came to the radical conclusion that I didn't need a standing blender. Great! More precious counter space was available. Until I filled it up with the frother, coffee filter and big cup, which are now always at hand in case I need a caffein fix.

FWIW, it's not hard to find a blender with a stainless steel beaker.  Hamilton Beach makes two, the 909 and the Rio.  There are others.

As for the OP, I'm chagrined to admit the main one for me is the Atlas hand-cranked pasta machine.  Was all over that for a while, then let it go in favor of store bought.  Not a real foodie, I guess.

One thing I like about my Cuisinart stick blender is that it has a mini food processor attachment. I never thought I'd use it when I got it, but I actually use it relatively frequently. For example, I really _really_ hate chopping garlic. I love garlic, I just hate working with it. Whenever I have to chop a head or two of garlic (e.g. kimchi) I break that thing out and blitz the cloves in seconds. No smelly hands, no sticky knives, no gross cutting board. It's nice for mincing ginger as well.

• Like 2

The one that came into the house with the least promise and ended up being used the most:  the Bamix immersion blender.  Not the least because it makes excellent milk froth for cappucinos.  Also very simple for soups.  I'd like to try the steel milkshake container and do nut butters.  Excellent solution.

The one that came into the house with the most promise and ended up being practically useless:  the food processor.  I loathe cleaning it and it's too powerful.  I like to have more control over texture.  However, when you really need one, you really need one.

The one I miss the most because it is currently in storage:  my KitchenAid mixer with ice cream attachment.  I really miss making ice cream.

The one I once had, used constantly and no longer need because life circumstances have changed:  the covered electric skillet.  It was deep and square and I cooked everything I ate in it, including pot brownies, when I was in college.  

Best low tech non-appliance:  the mokka coffee pot for espresso and then cappucino. It makes better espresso than 90% of commercial sources.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I sort of can't wait for my Cuisinart immersion blender to die so I can replace it with a Bamix. But the Cuisinart has been going strong for six years, so that day might not be coming soon. It was one of those appliances I registered for when I got married, but before I got insane about cooking and kitchen gadgets. It does a good job for my purposes, but it's not quite the beast that the Bamix is. This is similar to my experience with my Kitchenaid blender, which was the Cook's Illustrated best buy at the time. But now I'm itching to replace it with a Waring Xtreme blender. I guess the moral of this story is go big when you buy blenders.

Edited by btbyrd (log)

The one that came into the house with the least promise and ended up being used the most:  the Bamix immersion blender.  Not the least because it makes excellent milk froth for cappucinos.  Also very simple for soups.  I'd like to try the steel milkshake container and do nut butters.  Excellent solution.

The one that came into the house with the most promise and ended up being practically useless:  the food processor.  I loathe cleaning it and it's too powerful.  I like to have more control over texture.  However, when you really need one, you really need one.

The one I miss the most because it is currently in storage:  my KitchenAid mixer with ice cream attachment.  I really miss making ice cream.

The one I once had, used constantly and no longer need because life circumstances have changed:  the covered electric skillet.  It was deep and square and I cooked everything I ate in it, including pot brownies, when I was in college.  

Best low tech non-appliance:  the mokka coffee pot for espresso and then cappucino. It makes better espresso than 90% of commercial sources.

When I was first married more than 50 years ago one of my wedding gifts was an electric skillet. Like yours it was square and covered. If it couldn't be cooked in that we didn't eat! I had no clue how to cook anything and that and the recipe book that came with it kept us alive at least for the first year. Now I have a beautiful round very large electric skillet with a glass lid. It is not used often but when I make chicken tikka masala in large quantities that is the pan I turn to. It has an enormous cooking surface and allows me to brown the onions for this dish very efficiently. I am reminded though that it is only used a couple of times a year and could probably migrate to the basement.

My 2004 eG Blog

I remember years ago there was a gorgeous Farberware electric skillet in gleaming stainless.  It really was too pretty for words.  I absolutely had to have it!  But I found I really didn't use it much and eventually gave it away.