• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food fetish fun

Alex Black

Nana and Shichi both mean 7 in Japanese, with the former the native word and the latter the Sino-Japanese word. I suspect they are identical, and some producers call it one, some the other, and each producer's proportions differ.

I'm fairly sure what they refer to as "Japanese Pepper" is, in fact, Sancho (Sichuan Peppercorns).

Sansho and Sichuan Peppercorns are related but not identical species (similar to Ginger and Galangal). They can be used somewhat interchangeably but they do taste different.

You can get Sansho Peppers from The Spice House somewhat affordably.

PS: I am a guy.

I checked what's in mine:  black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, chile flakes, orange zest, sansho, citric acid and nori.

Most spice mixes do tend to vary a little.depending on the supplier.

I have bought a commercial brand here which is "imported" from Taiwan which lists its ingredients as red chile, black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, tangerine peel, sweet basil and Sichuan peppercorns. No seaweed in sight.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Been eating pumpkin pie mixed with maple pecan pie (all leftovers, of course) for brekkers every morning since US Thanksgiving.  The rich creamy pumpkin was fantastic with the crunchy mapleized nuts, swallowed between gulps of hot coffee.  Sadly, yesterday was the last of them and I had a devil of a time thinking of something else to have for breakfast.  I probably shouldn't bake a new batch of pies just to have this combo for another week or so, right?

not at all!! speaking of which, what other foods 'mature' over time? leftovers always seem to take on their own distinctive flavour and sometimes it can be better than when first cooked. :huh:

I go on an occasional 'poached eggs (cooked with a fair bit of vinegar in the water to give a bit of tang) on dry whole grain toast' binge. I am not a huge breakfast eater so when I am in the mood, I may make these at any time of day, and even several times a day - and once started on this road, I seem to have a hard time stopping for sometimes weeks at a time before I tire of it.

I always make poached eggs myself at home though because I have never found a restaurant (even one supposedly specializing in breakfasts) that does poached eggs with whites adequately cooked and yolks nice and runny. And I like my eggs 'free-form' - not looking as though they came out of a mold. And that tang from the vinegar is essential too. I probably love these because for so many years living in the Yukon (where 'fresh' eggs were an unknown commodity in those days), I didn't actually know that eggs could be yellow inside - I thought they were only available (when cooked) in 50 shades of grey.

Is this a 'fetish' though? Maybe - at times. Perhaps it might be considered so when I am wiping yellow drippings from my face daily for weeks on end. And making second helpings because I didn't quite get enough of that lusciousness with the first go-around. It is definitely a 'guilty pleasure'.

• Like 1

I go on an occasional 'poached eggs (cooked with a fair bit of vinegar in the water to give a bit of tang) on dry whole grain toast' binge. I am not a huge breakfast eater so when I am in the mood, I may make these at any time of day, and even several times a day - and once started on this road, I seem to have a hard time stopping for sometimes weeks at a time before I tire of it.I always make poached eggs myself at home though because I have never found a restaurant (even one supposedly specializing in breakfasts) that does poached eggs with whites adequately cooked and yolks nice and runny. And I like my eggs 'free-form' - not looking as though they came out of a mold. And that tang from the vinegar is essential too. I probably love these because for so many years living in the Yukon (where 'fresh' eggs were an unknown commodity in those days), I didn't actually know that eggs could be yellow inside - I thought they were only available (when cooked) in 50 shades of grey.Is this a 'fetish' though? Maybe - at times. Perhaps it might be considered so when I am wiping yellow drippings from my face daily for weeks on end. And making second helpings because I didn't quite get enough of that lusciousness with the first go-around. It is definitely a 'guilty pleasure'.

WOW! I frequently must talk myself out of poached eggs on toast on the grounds that I already have it too often! It is like the perfect meal. Fast, economical, reasonably healthy and somehow nurturing. It is only slightly more grown-up than dippy eggs and soldiers!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I do go through periods of obsessive cooking of this and that.  Recently it has been Mexican food. 

However, for decades now, I would have to say that chickpeas remain a constant and endless favorite.  Just made a pot of Harira this morning which of course contains chickpeas.  And there is always a container of hummus in the fridge.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.