• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food fetish fun

Alex Black

anyone one go through phases of being totally addicted to a certain ingredient and having to put it in everything? or having the same dish over n over?

i can't stop making scrambled eggs at the moment. and i put cayenne in EVERYTHING!! such an amazing flavour. i'd put it on my cornflakes if i wasn't too busy eating scrambled eggs!!

• Like 2

Lol.

We had talk yesterday with food nerds friends and well we realised a  sous vide crounut with bacon and cheese , wrapped in ramen and dipped in chocolate should be the most in thing right now, if it was ever made.

Anyway, warm chocolate milk  seams to be what I am doing.  My daughter loves it  when she  is cold, but she  dislike it if it is sweet so I am  trying to find a balance, which she will love.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

anyone one go through phases of being totally addicted to a certain ingredient and having to put it in everything? or having the same dish over n over?

i can't stop making scrambled eggs at the moment. and i put cayenne in EVERYTHING!! such an amazing flavour. i'd put it on my cornflakes if i wasn't too busy eating scrambled eggs!!

See to me Cayenne has no flavor just heat, which makes it annoying for me to eat

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

See to me Cayenne has no flavor just heat, which makes it annoying for me to eat

I'm with you. There are so many options that allow one to combine heat with flavor that cayenne is usually only an ingredient in a spice mixture for me.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well as a small girl my sister went through a period when she would only eat apricot jam sandwiches then it was Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

As a teen I had a time when all I wanted to eat was fish sticks and French fries.  Recently it has been eggs Benedict.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

might be why i like it. just adds a bit of heat without affecting the flavour. i'm a bitof a newb so i'm sure i'll get onto something else with a bit of flavour. what would you suggest chilli wise? powder form so i can quickly chuck it on sarnies, etc

might be why i like it. just adds a bit of heat without affecting the flavour. i'm a bitof a newb so i'm sure i'll get onto something else with a bit of flavour. what would you suggest chilli wise? powder form so i can quickly chuck it on sarnies, etc

What about an ancho or green Serrano or one of the paprika?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

yeah, been meaning to pick up some smoked paprika. not really seen anchos about. can be a bit frustrating trying to find certain ingredients where i am. gonna start a chilli plant next year :cool:

try some of the online stores

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm with you. There are so many options that allow one to combine heat with flavor that cayenne is usually only an ingredient in a spice mixture for me.

One of my peeves is when you see something labelled 'Buffalo Style" and its just cayenne soaked. Ugh, heat for heats sake is jarring.

Wheres the fruity pepper flavor? the vinegar?

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Nothing wrong with cayenne. I like it. Of course I like all chiles. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Alex:  This my favourite  chili for flavour,  Aji Amarillo  ( Capsicum baccatum),  it has a fruit flavour when dried , still heat but it is balance.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Nothing wrong with cayenne. I like it.

That's what I was thinking. Cayenne sauces are among my favorite "everyday use" hot sauces. They're not face-melting hot and they're full of flavor. A big bowl of chicken noodle soup with a few dashes of Crystal is a thing of beauty on a cold day.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That's what I was thinking. Cayenne sauces are among my favorite "everyday use" hot sauces. They're not face-melting hot and they're full of flavor. A big bowl of chicken noodle soup with a few dashes of Crystal is a thing of beauty on a cold day.

Cayenne thats been in salt and fermented and vinegar added thats in hot sauce is a totally different animal than plain cayenne powder that has no flavor but heat

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I have been cooking a lot of pasta, different varieties, "flavors" and shapes, but have been dressing them all with the same aglio et olio - using some very fruity olive oil given me by a friend (gallon jug) from a vineyard on the central coast that is not yet doing the commercial thing but is producing some just for friends and family.  ( I was asked to keep the name secret - it's near Cambria)

Anyway, there are times that I get a craving for garlic and I find that this application gives me the most satisfaction.  I have also cut way back on meat.

I have also been advised to cut way back on highly acidic foods so tomato-based sauces are verboten at this time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Shichimi Togarishi .

I seem to be sprinkling it on everything recently. Just made a big batch about an hour ago.

I love it but it is extremely expensive. Never occurred to me to make my own. I seem to recall though that there is one ingredient which might be hard to source. Must check into that.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I love it but it is extremely expensive. Never occurred to me to make my own. I seem to recall though that there is one ingredient which might be hard to source. Must check into that.

I don't know what is difficult for you to find but it's basically sansho (Sichuan peppercorns), dried tangerine peel, ground red chile, flaked nori (the seaweed used to wrap sushi), black sesame seeds and poppy seeds blitzed in the machine. Or when I'm less lazy, ground with a mortar and pestle. 

The mix I use is 

2 tbs sansho

1 tbs dried tangerine peel

1 tbs ground red chile pepper

2 tsp flaked nori

2 tsp black sesame seeds

2 tsp white poppy seeds

except I usually double these quantities, but like I said, I use a lot.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I don't know what is difficult for you to find but it's basically sansho (Sichuan peppercorns), dried tangerine peel, ground red chile, flaked nori (the seaweed used to wrap sushi), black sesame seeds and poppy seeds blitzed in the machine. Or when I'm less lazy, ground with a mortar and pestle. 

The mix I use is 

2 tbs sansho

1 tbs dried tangerine peel

1 tbs ground red chile pepper

2 tsp flaked nori

2 tsp black sesame seeds

2 tsp white poppy seeds

except I usually double these quantities, but like I said, I use a lot.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Been eating pumpkin pie mixed with maple pecan pie (all leftovers, of course) for brekkers every morning since US Thanksgiving.  The rich creamy pumpkin was fantastic with the crunchy mapleized nuts, swallowed between gulps of hot coffee.  Sadly, yesterday was the last of them and I had a devil of a time thinking of something else to have for breakfast.  I probably shouldn't bake a new batch of pies just to have this combo for another week or so, right?

• Like 2

Yes, but they are usually instead of the poppy seeds and, anyway, impossible to find here.

Thank you for that recipe. I knew that mine had something in it that would be difficult to find. It is the Japanese pepper.

So mine is

image.jpg

A bit different. Nanami Togarishi.

On my screen the photo is wrongly positioned but I cannot fix it.

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for that recipe. I knew that mine had something in it that would be difficult to find. It is the Japanese pepper.

So mine is

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A bit different. Nanami Togarishi.

On my screen the photo is wrongly positioned but I cannot fix it.

I'm fairly sure what they refer to as "Japanese Pepper" is, in fact, Sancho (Sichuan Peppercorns).

Shichimi togarishi and nanami togarishi are essentially the same, the latter having a higher proportion of the tangerine peel and therefore a more citrus flavour.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto