• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Highlawn Pavilion or Hilton Short Hills?

rnfoodie

Need to "impress" for a business dinner. Abut 7-10 people. Seems pricing is similar for both, approx. $ 130.00 p/p, meal, wine tax, tip etc. Actually more than I had planned to spend , but seems these are the best in area. Which would you choose? Other suggestions?

The problem, IMO, with the Hilton Dining Room is that if you are dealing with out-of-towners they won't realize at first that you are taking them to one of the nicest places in NJ, but instead to a hotel restaurant, you know what I mean? If they are locals and know anything about the restaurant scene, it is an excellent choice. Also, what about The Manor?

i agree with the problem of people unfamiliar with the dining room making the distinction between the dining room and other "hotel restaurants." however, we recently were there for our anniversary and had one of the best meals ever! top shelf for every aspect of dining. if you are looking to impress not so much with food but with a great view of nyc, go with the highlawn; only problem being that you have no idea if the weather will cooperate with your plans.

never been but I heard Serenade is really nice. I'd also investigate Pierre's.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

"need to impress" them with what?

If you're looking for food, any of the suggestions will prob be impressive. If you're looking for the "view", go with the Highlawn. Be aware, however, that the Highlawn's tables for 5+ are set back from the windows. With 10 people, they may offer you two tables.

For 10 people, Serenade may give your group the fireplace room, depending on how booked they are. Their tasting menu with wine selection run about $110, IIRC

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

"need to impress" them with what?

If you're looking for food, any of the suggestions will prob be impressive. If you're looking for the "view", go with the Highlawn.  Be aware, however, that the Highlawn's tables for 5+ are set back from the windows. With 10 people, they may offer you two tables.

For 10 people, Serenade may give your group the fireplace room, depending on how booked they are. Their tasting menu with wine selection run about $110, IIRC

Yes, I would agree. If you're looking to impress with a culinary experience, skip Highlawn. I've not been to Stagehouse, but it gets a lot of good press here on this board. It's on my list.

Nick

I dont know if location matters to you as you initially mentioned places that are approx. 20-30 minutes from each other...but as other choices I would concur with Stage House, Scalini Fedeli and Serenade and I would also add The Bernards Inn...all very impressive places with top notch cuisine...Enjoy!

A.D.S.