• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramelized nuts problem (sticky, humidity)

danield

Hi folks,

in the last time i did a few small batches of caramelized nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashew). I use the technique from THIS topic (also tried the ones from notter, but didn't work well).

I wanted to use the Nuts as decoration for confections (chocolate bars, chocolate bonbons).

After making i packed the nuts into an airtight container and they doesnt get sticky or soft. After putting them on the confections and they where not in an airtight container any more, they get sticky and soft after 1-2 days.

It seems that the cacao butter does not do its job (delay humidity&sticking)

I want to ask if anyone else does caramelized nuts and has problems as described above? I cant find any solution to this.

cheers, daniel

Thank you for the answers.

I put the nuts directly on the chocolate coverd bonbons, so they are only in contact with dark chocolate.

Our air humidity at the working place is around 50-60 %

Do you use the same method as described in my first post?

I did nearly burn my last batch (almonds). I will see how these nuts are.