• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mace, 649 E. 9th St., NYC

weinoo

Mace will be the new bar where Louis 649 used to be the old bar.  It's not open yet, but theoretically will be sometime early in the new year.  Cocktail Kingdom's Greg Boehm is the owner, and partner Nico de Soto will be running the show.  Before they close and renovate the Louis 649 space, Nico is hosting a holiday themed cocktail pop-up, called Miracle on 9th Street, which will be open through December 23rd.

Anyone who knows Nico's drinks (he opened ECC in NYC and Prescription Cocktail Club in Paris, amongst others) knows that they are fairly ingredient intensive, with (usually) 4 or more ingredients, some of which may even sound a little strange on paper - marshmallow and Budweiser syrup, anyone?

Significant Eater and I checked it out on opening night, this past Saturday. As I mentioned, many of the cocktails sound a bit strange on paper, but pretty much everything I tasted was good (I mean, not as good as a beautifully made Manhattan, but what is?). There's smoke, there's frankincense, there are candy canes, there are nogs, there are flips, there's a sangaree. Definitely drinks of the season, spicy and sweet. But really well balanced...with a good use of citrus. Worth giving a look-see if you like these types of cocktails...and really, what's not to like during the holidays?

COMP DISCLOSURE:  I am pretty sure a round of drinks was on the house.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?