• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with cod skin

Alex Black

Blanching -  put in boiling water

However, I might be inclined to treat it like salmon skin and just tuck it under the broiler after rubbing with oil until it crisps.  How thick is it? Image?

I would look up recipes for kale chips and mimic them, for crispy skins with seasoning.

If you have to take the skins back to your own kitchen, they can be frozen and used later.

If I found myself making a black squid ink sauce,  I would blend in the cod skins for texture and body, before straining it over pasta or seafood.

Otherwise I would save them in the freezer for the next fish fumet, which can be made in less than an lf hour and frozen until needed.

Blanch it in salted water until it's tender. Based on something I was reading last night, it should be about a minute. Ideally, you would want to then dry it out, in a dehydrator or a very low oven, then fry it. You could try shallow frying, though it wouldn't be as even as deep frying. Or you could try baking it as I described, probably in a medium oven. But as I said, that last bit is just a guess. I've certainly seen it done with duck skin and chicken skin, so I'm extrapolating.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Do not blanch them, they'll disintegrate very quickly. Treat like salmon skin, if you cant deep fry them then brush with oil and bake between sheets. You could broil them but keep an eye as they will go from crispy to burnt in a second.