• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Nibbles

David Ross

I'll call them "nibbles," little bites to snack on while sipping your favorite Holiday beverage.  They're not really substantial to be called a first course or a plated appetizer served at the table.  I'm thinking of those savory bites I can't get enough of, like little choux pastry that I stuff with herbed cream cheese and a blanket of homemade smoked salmon.  Right now I'm working on a cold chicken liver mousse to spread on crackers or thin bread crisps.  So what are your favorite Holiday "nibbles" and are you creating some new bites for the season this year?

Candied nuts are always a good start.  As Christmas approaches the cookies appear...I'd like them better if they were savory rather than sweet...which is why I turn to cheese straws.

• Like 3

I like to make miniature spanakopitas and freeze them so they can be pulled out to be baked while drinks are being poured. Similarly one can make fig or apricot with goat cheese triangles and freeze them for spur of the moment nibbling needs. Add to that a few nuts and people seem quite happy to nosh till dinner is ready.

• Like 2

We cannot forget the caramel popcorn couresty of Jaymes. Holy is that stuff addicting. Just search for caramel corn and the recipe is on the first page....don't know how to link that post. Try not to make it when there is no one to stop you eating it :-))

We cannot forget the caramel popcorn couresty of Jaymes. Holy is that stuff addicting. Just search for caramel corn and the recipe is on the first page....don't know how to link that post. Try not to make it when there is no one to stop you eating it :-))

I think this may be the recipe you mean: Jaymes' Caramel Popcorn recipe, on RecipeGullet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Swedish gingerbread   topped with Stilton or  roquefort,  used to be my favourite now they would be the death of me.  but they are still lovely for those who can eat them.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Another vote for Jaymes' popcorn.  Addictive.

I've come to like savory versions of classic sweets--not only tasty but there's an element of surprise that's fun.  Savory sables are sweet-savory cookies.  Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table introduced me to olive sables, but variations are endless. A few logs of this slice and bake dough in your fridge or freezer will let you serve a warm, fresh batch at last minute notice.  I've also started playing with savory madeleines.  David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen has a recipe for buckwheat madeleines, and instead of adding chocolate (not that there's anything wrong with it...) I've tried chopped nuts and spices with success.  They freeze well and defrost quickly.

During the holidays I like to have spreads like tapenade or rillettes in the fridge.  They keep well, so make a big batch (for rillettes, pack in small individual bowls or terrines) and pull out as needed.

• Like 1

Cheese.  Lots of cheese.  All kinds of cheese.

Last year we got one of those upscale cheese presents from a client at work.  I was in heaven.

Not quite on topic, but remember those tiny loaves of bread, teeny rye sandwiches?  My parents used to put that out.  

Those are good with cheese . . . 

• Like 1

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

This year I made membrillo (quince paste). There's a lot of information about this on eGullet and all over the web. I had never cooked with quince before. It turned out to be a very nice "nibble" with cheese (Manchego is the classic, and the one I used, but I think it would go well with many others) and crackers.

• Like 3

This year I made membrillo (quince paste). There's a lot of information about this on eGullet and all over the web. I had never cooked with quince before. It turned out to be a very nice "nibble" with cheese (Manchego is the classic, and the one I used, but I think it would go well with many others) and crackers.

I have written in other threads about my accidentally oversugaring quince paste one year and "tempering" it with a strong brew of Lapsang Souchong to add a smoky flavor which effectively cut the sweetness dramatically.

This made it perfect to serve with cheeses, particularly the ones that are strongly flavored.

Since then I have done the same with fig jam, mimicking the commercial "burnt fig jam"  -- also some others. 

I make little empanadas with various fillings and they can be made ahead, frozen and baked when needed. 

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In the coming days we'll see the annual opening of the Pacific Northwest Dungeness Crab fishery.  I always make hot crab dip, (a blend of fresh crab meat, cream, cream cheese, lots of Worcestershire sauce and green onions), and keep it hot in an old fondue pot.  Sort of retro looking and a delicious hot dip.

• Like 2

Ah, remember that it is summer in the Southern Hemisphere - favourite snack here is a bowl of finely sliced biltong or droëwors to nibble on with a well chilled glass of your favourite ale or larger. Another thought is pâté with crackers (smoked snoek (a common local fish), chicken liver, mushroom, smoked salmon or trout or even biltong) a lot to choose from and all quick to prep and have available in the fridge. You will gather that I like biltong! The pâté idea goes down well watching the sunset with a good bottle of wine.

John.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Roquefort spread.  It's a Joy of Cooking recipe, using bleu cheese, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic.  Mix and mash together, let age 24 hours, eat with crackers, toast, spread on celery sticks, etc. 

Spiced salted almonds.

Different varieties of olives, some tarted up with herbs and garlic. 

One thing my mother always had around for nibbling on the holidays but I haven't seen in years is rolle pulse, a Scandinavian spiced rolled meat.  There's a recipe for it (using veal breast) in my 1950s Betty Crocker -- maybe one day I'll get the nerve to try it. 

• Like 1

Tonight I'm making a batch of smoked trout gratin.  It's sort of a take on a traditional salt cod but I'm using trout I smoked over applewood.  Combined with mashed potatoes, lots of garlic and fresh, buttered bread crumbs.  Certainly not your pimento spread, (although that's also a winner), from years past.  It's best served with potato chips rather than slices of bread.  Serve it hot and the smoked fish fans will love it.

• Like 1

I just remembered "stuffed" pecans (or walnuts also work).

8 ounces of cream cheese, softened.

4 ounces caramelized onions - or shallots (I prefer the latter) and if they are a bit "scorched" the flavor is even better.

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

60 large pecan halves  (50 walnut halves because they are larger)  Toasted lightly to crisp  in a preheated oven at 350°F. for FIVE minutes. 

Mash the first three ingredients together until well blended.

apply a teaspoon of the mixture to the flat half of 30 pecans - add the top half to make a mini "sandwich"  - chill until ready to serve.

Another "filling" can be finely minced dates with cream cheese.

also  "Burnt" fig jam with cheddar.

Blue cheese with quince jam.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

This is an easy nibble that really impresses folks.  At first they think its fondue but it's actually Hot Dungeness Crab Dip.  My Father always made this every December or his neighborhood cocktail party and to celebrate the opening of crab season here in the Northwest.

It's a mixture of cream cheese, cream, lots of fresh crab, Worcestershire, Old Bay seasoning, toasted slivered almonds, green onions and Tabasco.  I change the seasonings depending on what I think might go well with the crab.  Heat the mixture in a fondue pot over the stove then take it to your buffet table and place on the stand and light the flame.  I serve it with buttered toast. 

It takes a bit of effort and equipment, but the thin little toasts are much better than dried out melba toast out of a box.  I take a baguette and slice it really thin using my meat slicer.  Works fast and gives you uniform slices.  Then brushed with melted butter and popped into a hot oven until crisp and golden. 

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like 12

It's a mixture of cream cheese, cream, lots of fresh crab, Worcestershire, Old Bay seasoning, toasted slivered almonds, green onions and Tabasco.  I change the seasonings depending on what I think might go well with the crab.  Heat the mixture in a fondue pot over the stove then take it to your buffet table and place on the stand and light the flame.  I serve it with buttered toast. 

Do you have a recipe that you start with? It sounds great and I would like a place to start.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

This is an easy nibble that really impresses folks.  At first they think its fondue but it's actually Hot Dungeness Crab Dip.  My Father always made this every December or his neighborhood cocktail party and to celebrate the opening of crab season here in the Northwest.

It takes a bit of effort and equipment, but the thin little toasts are much better than dried out melba toast out of a box.  I take a baguette and slice it really thin using my meat slicer.  Works fast and gives you uniform slices.  Then brushed with melted butter and popped into a hot oven until crisp and golden. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0216.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0219.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0225.JPG

My aunt used to make hot crab dip every year.  So delicious.  Haven't had it in 20 years, sob.