• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paneer/cottage cheese whey

Alex Black

hi all.

just started making paneer and i've read a recipe where you can use the old whey from a previous batch to seperate the whey from the curds in a new batch. i used lemon juice for the first batch. i've since used that whey for a new lot and it's turned out a lot  more tender (kind of like philly). anyone know how many time the old whey can be used? not sure about bacteria etc.

hope this makes sense

cheers

I had never heard that before, it sounds interesting. Generally, 5-7 days is the longest I'd keep it -refrigerated, of course. I suspect that the method is just using up excess acid from the first batch. It will probably get too weak somewhere after that second round. -Or else the recipe everyone uses for paneer has had us all wasting food (vinegar, lemon juice) for a long time!

Depends of the pH of the whey.

If you use live culture whey you should be able to keep it going indefinitely....theoretically anyway.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!