• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this picture a Boston Butt or Picnic?

torolover

I just got a Boston Butt from a butcher, but now I'm not sure the butcher gave me the right cut.

I took a picture of what I have.  Is this the Boston Butt or the Picnic?  It's 12 pounds.  The second pic has the bone sticking out because I chopped a inch off to make a pork steak.

I paid $6 a pound for this Boston Butt at a famous high-end Butcher shop and he said it's from a Heritage Pig.  I thought it should have more marbling?

Thanks!

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

Edited by torolover (log)

That cut is from the leg.  Not sure from the photo whether it is the ham (rear) or picnic (front ) cut but looks like the ham. I'm pretty sure the pig is a commercial breed due to the lack of fat cap directly beneath the skin.  Google Boston butt and the difference will be evident.  If the butcher passes off the leg as a shoulder cut it's time to find a new butcher.

It's from a front shoulder cut in half.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Looks like the butt end but I can't tell you exactly what all you have by just looking at a cross-section.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Looks like the butt end but I can't tell you exactly what all you have by just looking at a cross-section.

Here are some more pictures.  You can see there is a big long bone that runs from one end to the other end.  On another side there is some kind of blade bone.  Does this make it easier?  Really appreciate your input everyone!

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5471-2.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

The front let is the Picnic.  The shoulder blade which is the joint above the Picnic is from the shoulder blade and is the butt end.  That looks like the Picnic to me but both butt and shoulder can be cooked the same and taste alike.  The difference is that the Picnic is usually harder to carve because of the bones. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

There's obviously exposed blade...there's no blade in a picnic...not in all the hogs I've butchered anyway.

• Like 1

They originally had a big shoulder and cut it in half and said this is the Boston Butt and the other part is the picnic. 

The butcher did exactly that.

It's not trimmed up like a supermarket butt end.

The arm bone. It's the bone directly below the blade bone.

At this point, I think you've got a hybrid.  Most of the butt and some of the picnic.

Isn't the arm bone part of a picnic?

pork_shoulder_picnic_42kb.gif

The above picture I found on this website:

Ask The Meatman

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

re  Arm better

thats hard to say.  The BB has some very choice cuts in it

the arm might lent itself more to thick 'steaks'

the easiest way to tell is the next time you are at that Butcher, see how they price out each cut, w skin and bones etc.

Front Leg.   not many Piggies have arms.

note the scapula, although truth be told it might be pelvis.

:huh:

Im thinking of leaning in that direction myself.

when the bone eventually comes out, it should have a ridge along one side to be the Scap.

not so the pelvis.

mystery continues .....

Front Leg.   not many Piggies have arms.

note the scapula, although truth be told it might be pelvis.

:huh:

Im thinking of leaning in that direction myself.

when the bone eventually comes out, it should have a ridge along one side to be the Scap.

not so the pelvis.

mystery continues .....

So I took some pictures of the bone.  I was so disappointed in the quality of this cut, whatever it was.  6 hours at 300F, internal temp of 200F and came out dry, not much fat, and didn't shred easily.  I'm going to complain to the butcher especially if he didn't give me the BB.  He told me it was Heritage Pork and cost me $6 a pound.

We these pic, can you tell what it is?  

IMG_5478.JPG

IMG_5479.JPG

IMG_5480.JPG

IMG_5481.JPG

Edited by torolover (log)

So much for judging by pics from afar.  :smile:

What you have is a real bad hack job of the pelvic area

Yeah, I would be bitchin'!