• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wondra Flour

Priscilla

He just finished War and Piece yesterday

is that like War and Peace? :smile:

Actually, Awbrig, there IS another book entitled "War and Piece" and perhaps it is that to which Chefvic was referring.

It's the story of my first marriage....

:biggrin:

And, of course, there was "War and Peas" the story of getting my kids to eat veggies :laugh:

And War and Pees, the story of getting my kids potty-trained. :laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm back!

I was requested to report on my making of fried oysters, actually Oyster's Bingo. See www.chef2chef.com for recipe. Everything with my son's meal went fine and we wished we had a lot more to eat. It's good to leave a meal with the feeling of wanting more. I will make again. Next time it will be with an AP flour to compare the differance. I allowed the oysters to take on as much flour as they wanted. Next time, I will not use as much flour.

I think it would be a great component of a mult-course meal. If you try the recipe and invite me over, make portion sizes four times larger. I'll bring the wine. :biggrin:

Edited by chefvic123 (log)

Ah...moderators, moderators! I'd like to report Awbrig. He posted a picture of a voluptuous young woman and it looks like he airbrushed a bra on her body. I suspect a coverup. This offending contraption must be removed at once in the interests of full disclosure. Both of them. :wink:

edited at the request of my good friend Awbrig to remove ambiguities

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I'm back!

I was requested to report on my making of fried oysters, actually Oyster's Bingo.

Hey - thanks! Now, be sure to let us know how the Wondra compares to AP. I, for one, am really eager to hear.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ah...moderators, moderators!  I'd like to report Awbrig.  He posted a picture of a voluptuous young woman and it looks like he airbrushed a bra on her body.  This must be removed at once in the interests of full disclosure.  Both of them. :wink:

Concerning Awbrig:

Just remember: he's your little (smart-aleck)brother! Works for me. :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Ah...moderators, moderators!  I'd like to report Awbrig.  He posted a picture of a voluptuous young woman and it looks like he airbrushed a bra on her body.  This must be removed at once in the interests of full disclosure.  Both of them. :wink:

Concerning Awbrig:

Just remember: he's your little (smart-aleck)brother! Works for me. :biggrin:

If he's a smart aleck, he's only a virtual smart aleck. I hear that in person he's a warm and caring individual who likes Charlie Trotter's.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 2 weeks later...

I have so far used Wondra in a few applications. As Margaret Pilgrim suggested, it worked very very well for dusting a cake pan; easy to shake around for coverage, and easy removal after baking, too.

Using it for dredging food to be fried, I have been less happy with the results, mostly due to a subtle but persistent musty or stale flour smell, apparent even with the small amount of flour clinging to the food before cooking.

King Arthur Flour, which I normally use, smells so fresh and floury, in contrast. I am theorizing that it's a cooked-flour smell, created during the gelatinizing process Wondra undergoes. Testing ongoing.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I have used Wondra for gravies. Mmm, gravy. Also, I fry polenta using Wondra. Someone told me it worked well. I think they ripped it off Emeril. I have never fried anything else with Wondra but I keep it around for the polenta application. I am going to put it into a jar as soon as I get home, lest the bugs get it.

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 4 years later...

I"ve been using wondra as of late to dip chicken and or veal cutlets before the egg wash and bread crumb, read panko mixture

I find it works great for dredging into the wondra provides a silky coating, then a dredge into the egg yolk/evaported milk mixture then a final dredge into panko bread crumbs. This method gets rid of the gluppy mess that was made with regular flour when going directly to the egg wash.

Im liking this stuff

woodbuner

It's my go-to flour for making Buffalo wings, for sure. I use it in a lot of dredging applications, but for the wings, it's amazing. Even after being tossed with the sauce, and sitting around on the table, they're still very light and crisp. I agree with whoever said it's like coating without a heavy coating, or something along those lines.

Wondra is also wondraful (ahem...) for crepes. :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Wondra is also wondraful (ahem...) for crepes.  :biggrin:

Cute (ahem) play on words! :raz:

But seriously, do you use wondra in the same quantities as AP flour? (Maybe it has to be weighed instead of measured?) Or do you just wing it looking for the same consistency as AP crepes?

TIA.

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Wondra is also wondraful (ahem...) for crepes.  :biggrin:

Cute (ahem) play on words! :raz:

But seriously, do you use wondra in the same quantities as AP flour? (Maybe it has to be weighed instead of measured?) Or do you just wing it looking for the same consistency as AP crepes?

TIA.

I've only ever used Julia Child's recipe for crepes in The Way to Cook and she specifies by volume (1 cup). She mentions that the instant blend flour produces the best and fastest result (10 minute rest) but if it isn't available, you can use all-purpose; you just have a longer rest time (1 hour or so).

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

It's my go-to flour for making Buffalo wings, for sure.  I use it in a lot of dredging applications, but for the wings, it's amazing. Even after being tossed with the sauce, and sitting around on the table, they're still very light and crisp. I agree with whoever said it's like coating without a heavy coating, or something along those lines.

Interesting... I might have to give this a try.

Currently, I use corn starch to dust/very lightly coat chicken wings before tossign them into the hot oil for frying.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 3 months later...