• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Bo Ssam, rinse brine or don't rinse?

torolover

I'm making the Momfuku Bo Ssam instead of Turkey for Thanksgiving.  After the dry salt/sugar cure, should I rinse this off before cooking for 6 hours?  Or should I leave it on?  I'm worried about it being too salty.

I saids to roast Pork Boston Butt for 6 hours at 300F.  Is there an ideal final internal temp I should be looking for?  190F or 200F?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I think you should rinse it off and dry the roast before roasting it.  

I look for 180°F - 185°F as a good internal temp for Boston butt.  Remember, it will go up a good 5° - 10°F after you take it out of the oven...I'd even cook it at around 275°F...if you end up with a roast at 200°, I think it will be overcooked.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've done this a few time sand you should definitely rinse.

I do about 275/280 in a convection oven for the slow part then just turn it up as high as I can for the final stage (or better yet take it outside to do on the grill).

You won't regret doing this recipe, it's amazing and very very forgiving. A nice side for it is quick pickled onions (sliced onion in red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt for an hour or two before eating), really cuts through the richness of the pork.

• 3 months later...

I am making this as per Momofuko recipe and it says to baste every hour but what do you baste it with? I am already 1 1/2 hours in and theres still no juices in the roasting pan. Am i missing something here?

It took almost 3 hours till it started releasing juices to baste with. Also took 8 hours to reach 185F, not the 6 hours listed on the recipe. I am letting it rest for an hour before i crisp up the skin. I am NOT putting anymore sugar on it since there was plenty in the dry brine and its already caramelized enough.

100_6267.JPG

• Like 1