• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garbage bags food safe?

FeChef

Ive used plain cheap garbage bags to wrap all kinds of wild game to store in the freezer for a few weeks to kill trichinosis before processing and i have also used them to brine large turkeys. Im just wondering if theres any safety concerns in low temperatures? Anyone else use them for these purposes? And what are your thoughts on safety other then choking hazards in children and drunk adults?

Garbage bags are for garbage,

They often contain chemicals that aren't food friendly.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

What DDF said.  In particular, they may be made so they break down in landfills rather than persisting for centuries.  Anybody's guess what interesting chemicals go into that bit of trickery.

On the other hand, they're great for food you're throwing out ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

University of Nebraska, quoting from USDA (original link they provide has moved, but you can track it back to USDA site by searching):

The use of plastic trash bags for food storage or cooking is not recommended by USDA "... because they are not food grade plastic and chemicals from them may leach into the food."

How about the large oven roasting bags, would they work for you? Of course, there are commercial/restaurant suppliers that probably make all kinds of bags, but you might have to buy more than you need. 

• Like 1

It is difficult to find large bags that are food safe.

I buy a pack of 100 jumbo oven bags from a restaurant supply.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!