• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rou Jia Mo 肉夹馍

liuzhou

These have been mentioned a couple of times recently on different threads and I felt they deserved one of their own. After all, they did keep me alive when I lived in Xi'an.

Rou jia mo (ròu jiá mò; literally "Meat Sandwich") are Chinese sandwiches which originated in Shaanxi Province, but can be found all over China. Away from their point of origin, they tend to be made with long stewed pork belly. However in Xi'an (capital of Shaanxi), there is a large Muslim population so the meat of choice is more usually beef. In nearby Gansu Province, lamb or mutton is more likely.

rjm.thumb.jpg.69ac84dbcbca0942fbc275b51f2396b4.jpg

roujiamo1.thumb.jpg.5925d32a46e38c17b99dcc9d3cd7a6d5.jpg

Stewed Belly Pork Rou Jia Mo

When I was living in Xi'an in 1996-1997, I lived on these. I was living on campus in North-West University (西北大学) and right outside the school gate was a street lined with cheap food joints, most of which would serve you one. I had one favourite place which I still head to when I visit. First thing I do when I get off the train.

What I like to eat is Cumin Beef Rou Jia Mo (孜然牛肉夹馍 zī rán niú ròu jiá mò). The beef is stir fried or grilled/BBQd with cumin and mild green peppers. It is also given a bit of a kick with red chill flakes.

Here is a recipe wrested from the owner of my Xi'an favourite. So simple, yet so delicious.

beef2.jpg

Lean Beef

Fairly lean beef is cut into slivers

beef.thumb.jpg.ba47e6b3fa0ec8ca3339dafec13f0677.jpg

Sliced  Beef

single%20head%20garlic1.jpg

Chopped garlic

I use this single clove garlic from Sichuan, but regular garlic does just fine.

The beef and garlic are mixed in a bowl and generously sprinkled with ground cumin. This is then moistened with a little light soy sauce and Shaoxing wine. You don't want to flood it. Set aside for as long as you can.

IMG_7922.jpg

Mild Green Chilli Pepper

Take one or two mild green peppers and crush with the back of a knife, then slice roughly. You could de-seed if you prefer. I don't bother.

IMG_7981.jpg

Chopped Green Pepper

Fire up the wok, add oil (I use rice bran oil, but any  vegetable oil except olive oil would be fine) and stir fry the meat mixture until the meat is just done. 

IMG_7955.jpg

Frying Tonight

Then add the green peppers and fry until they are as you prefer them. I tend to like them still with a bit of crunch, so slightly under-cook them

IMG_7958.jpg

In with the peppers

You will, of course, have prepared the bread. The sandwiches are made with a type of flat bread known as 白吉饼 (bái jí bǐng; literally "white lucky cake-shape"). The ones here are store bought but I often make them. Recipe below.

IMG_7935.jpg

Bai Ji Bing

Take one and split it. Test the seasoning of the filling, adding salt if necessary. It may not need it because of the soy sauce. 

IMG_7965.jpg

Nearly there

Cover to make a sandwich  and enjoy. You will see that I have used a bunch of kitchen paper to hold the sandwich and to soak up any escaping juices. But it should be fairly dry.

IMG_7969.jpg
The final product.

Note: I usually cook the meat and pepper in batches. Enough for one sandwich per person at a time. If we need another (and we usually do) I start the next batch. 

Bread Recipe

350g plain flour
140ml water
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Mix the yeast with the flour and stir in the water. Continue stirring until a dough forms. Knead until smooth. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and leave to rise by about one third. (maybe 30-40 minutes).

Knead again to remove any air then roll the dough into a log shape around 5cm in diameter, then cut into six portions. Press these into a circle shape using a rolling pin. You want to end up with 1.5cm thick buns. 

Preheat oven to 190C/370F.

Dry fry the buns in a skillet until they take on some colour about a minute or less on each side, then finish in the oven for ten minutes. Allow to cool before using.

Edited by liuzhou
changed blurred image (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks so much liuzhou.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks great. How many of the buns does your recipe make?

A local Shaanxi-style restaurant offers something called rou ga mou http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/panda-gourmet-washington#3Y-f1fbGDx774W-GLUNw7g - I was wondering if there's any difference?

• Like 1

Looks great. How many of the buns does your recipe make?

A local Shaanxi-style restaurant offers something called rou ga mou http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/panda-gourmet-washington#3Y-f1fbGDx774W-GLUNw7g - I was wondering if there's any difference?

The recipe makes 6.

Rou ga mou is just a local dialect way of saying the same thing. Jiamo is the more standard Mandarin. The picture appears to be of a pork version.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

• 6 years later...

The end is nigh!

McD's recently launched this in selected stores in China!

CHINA-VC-WEEKLY-1-1.thumb.jpg.62ebb905fb8691d3aa65c512ba5263ba.jpg

I'm delighted to say that it hasn't gone well. Chinese social media has gone ballistic complaining that McD's version of this beloved Xi'an sandwich bears no comparison to the real thing or to this image, but is dry and has about a tenth of the filling, which is bland to t e point of tastlessness.

They just can't get Chinese food rght. A couple of years ago they tried to launch some Sichuan sauces and were laughed off the stage!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm delighted to say that it hasn't gone well.

Which raises the question of why McDonald’s which surely knows something about marketing research fails so miserably in China. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Which raises the question of why McDonald’s which surely knows something about marketing research fails so miserably in China. 

Actually, McD's is hugely successful in China - while they stick to what they know how to do. It's when they try to pander to local tastes without understanding them that they fail. They all sell congee for breakfast OK - that's difficult to screw up, I guess.

Also KFC have the same problem identifying what is going to work, but are still very successful - more so than McD's

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Actually, McD's is hugely successful in China - while they stick to what they know how to do. It's when they try to pander to local tastes without understanding them that they fail. They all sell congee for breakfast OK - that's difficult to screw up, I guess.

Also KFC have the same problem identifying what is going to work, but are still very successful - more so than McD's

I should have been much more lucid in expressing myself. I did not mean the whole Mc D’s operation in China but rather the specific item in your post and similar marketing failures that you have posted about over the years. But a long discussion would throw this completely off topic so I will leave it there and ponder the situation and perhaps even do some research!  Thanks for your response. 

My 2004 eG Blog