• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

torolover

Is "fresh" duck previously frozen? Is there a difference?

I just bought a whole duck which has a label from Crescent farms.  It's labeled fresh duck, but is it really fresh or do supermarkets previously freeze these?

Has anyone tasted the difference between fresh duck and previously frozen duck?

Inside the duck comes a packet of duck heart and liver.  If it was previously frozen, is it OK to eat the heart and liver medium rare?

Thanks!

Edited by torolover (log)

I bought a duck last week labeled "always fresh" that was frozen solid.  So...

some clarification on terminology may help.

as you likely know, salt water does not freeze at 32'F - "meat" has salts, etc. - "meat" does not "freeze" at 32'F

poultry may be kept by FDA rules at (something below 32'F, I'd have to look it up) and still be considered "not frozen" - ie "fresh"

now..... the fresh water inside the cavity and / or organ pack can, and does, freeze sooner, temp wise.

'frozen solid' is not fresh; but some chunks of ice in a "fresh" bird can-and-does happen.

Obviously I can only speak for what happens here in my area of the world. A frozen duck will cost me between 12 and $14. A fresh duck of the same weight will cost closer to 21 or $22. That being said James Peterson in his book Duck makes the claim that duck is not harmed by freezing or even by refreezing if done safely. He suggests, I believe, that you can buy a frozen duck, butcher your it to your liking and then re-freeze portions that you will not be using immediately. I will attempt to find my copy of that book and quote directly from it when I find the time and opportunity (oh and the book!).

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My whole ducks are definitely fresh. They are still quacking.

That said, I do occasionally buy frozen legs. I don't think there is much, if any loss in quality. 

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

"Cold Duck" should never be frozen.

Other feathered ducks make no difference.

dcarch

• Like 4

"Fresh or Frozen
The term fresh on a poultry label refers to any raw poultry product that has never been held below 26 °F (-3.3 C). Raw poultry held at 0 °F (-17.8 °C) or below must be labeled frozen or previously frozen. No specific labeling is required on raw poultry stored at temperatures between 0 and 25 °F (-17.8 °C and -3.9 °C).:"

"Fresh or FrozenThe term fresh on a poultry label refers to any raw poultry product that has never been held below 26 °F (-3.3 C). Raw poultry held at 0 °F (-17.8 °C) or below must be labeled frozen or previously frozen. No specific labeling is required on raw poultry stored at temperatures between 0 and 25 °F (-17.8 °C and -3.9 °C).:"

In which country? I think it's important to establish as food labeling laws vary from country to country.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In which country? I think it's important to establish as food labeling laws vary from country to country.

And most countries have no relevant laws.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto