• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spraying cocoa butter on top of caramel in a bonbon

Susanne Hindle Kher

I am attempting a recipe from Peter Greweling's book "Chocolates & Confections." It's the Salt & Pepper Bars. In the recipe you first lay down a layer of salted caramel in your frame, then spray with cocoa butter before laying down the second layer.

I don't have an airbrush or any equipment really. Can anyone shed light onto how this is done - I've searched the book and online, but haven't found any sources to help. I get that it's supposed to help with moisture retention, but am not sure how to "spray with cocoa butter."

Thanks for any tips!

I am attempting a recipe from Peter Greweling's book "Chocolates & Confections." It's the Salt & Pepper Bars. In the recipe you first lay down a layer of salted caramel in your frame, then spray with cocoa butter before laying down the second layer.

I don't have an airbrush or any equipment really. Can anyone shed light onto how this is done - I've searched the book and online, but haven't found any sources to help. I get that it's supposed to help with moisture retention, but am not sure how to "spray with cocoa butter."

Thanks for any tips!

It would typically use an airbrush.  However Albert Uster does sell a product that would work - here.  Chef Rubber used to sell it - but I can't find it easily on their website.

• Like 1

It would typically use an airbrush.  However Albert Uster does sell a product that would work - here.  Chef Rubber used to sell it - but I can't find it easily on their website.

that's a great find! Thank you! I'm not yet at a point where I can buy an airbrush system, so this is great.  Thank you again.

A pastry brush will apply a suitably thin enough layer of cocoa butter for the purpose.  It will be much thicker than what an airbrush will put down but it has the advantage of costing only a couple of $.

• Like 1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I actually found a slightly cheaper bottle of cocoa butter spray at Pastry Chef - and much more affordable shipping.  Thanks again!