• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shel's Spinach and Cheese Frittata

Shel_B

Shel's Spinach-Cheese Frittata

2½ 1-lb pkgs frozen, chopped spinach, thawed, water pressed out, leaves separated
1 can canned corn (I use TJ's), drained (not creamed corn - you cab use frozen or fresh kernels as well)
1 pkg TJ's condensed Portobello mushroom soup or equivalent
4 large eggs, beaten
2 heaping TBS A/P flour
⅓ cup ground dried shiitake mushrooms
12 oz pkg shredded cheese (Gruyere, Emmentaler, Pepper Jack - I usually use TJ's pepper jack)
1 4-oz can diced green peppers

Some diced bacon, pancetta, or ham (optional)
½ cup finely diced leek, lightly sautéed
S&P to taste (I use no salt and add about ½ - 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper depending of type of pepper

Sauté leeks in a small amount of oil, let cool.  Prepare bacon and set aside to cool and drain. Set aside prepared spinach in a large bowl or colander.

Dump condensed mushroom soup into another large bowl. Grind in pepper and add ground mushrooms and mix.  Add eggs, drained canned corn (or you can use frozen corn), green chile peppers, cooled leek mixture, optional bacon, and lightly sift flour over all.  Mix together to incorporate, then add shredded cheese and spinach and mix well.

Lightly butter/oil (or use a little bacon fat) an 8x8 or 2-quart Corningware baking dish and add the mixture. Bake @ 350-deg for about 40 minutes, or to an internal temperature of about 170-degrees.

Edited by Shel_B
Modify Instructions (log)

... Shel