• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Square: Savoury"

Not yet but I googled it and it seems to be an interesting book. I read some positive reviews on it so I guess, it's really a good book for us. I will try to look in bookstores if its available. If  it is, I will definitely get a copy of it. I'm curious about its content. 

Eventually of course my curiosity got the better of me and I had to research this book. I still have not seen a copy but from the description and reviews I would say that if you enjoyed cooking from the French laundry or 11 Madison Park then this book might appeal. For myself I was so disappointed. I imagined a book about savory bars much like brownies!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have both, the savory and the sweet and highly recommend both

I have both, the savory and the sweet and highly recommend both

Can you address if either of them are appropriate for the home cook trying to get a meal for the family on the table or if they are much more cheffy. My impression was the latter.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks so much for the responses!  I asked for it for Christmas.  Looking forward to getting it.  I love French Laundry; I've made quite a few recipes from it.  I recently bought 11 Madison Ave, but haven't tried anything from it yet.

If you like both you might also take a look at LudoBites and Volt ink