• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nut Snacks - The Topic

Kim Shook

I couldn't find a topic about using nuts to make snack mixes, so I'm starting one.  An experiment for sugar free nuts for my FIL for Xmas:

med_gallery_3331_122_160423.jpg

A friend on another site suggested that I make Dorie’s Sweet and Spicy Cocktail nuts.  I did them with Splenda and they are delicious – sugar, chili powder, cinnamon and cayenne.  They are going into the freezer for Christmas.

• Like 5

Salted chipotle almonds

200 gram whole almonds with skin

200 ml water

4 teaspoon salt

1/2 - 1 teaspoon chipotle paste.

Heat up the water, salt and chipotle paste i a pot , until the salt is dissolved. Add the almonds, sett aside for 2- 5 min.  Drain and lay on tray with baking paper  and bake for 5-10 min  400 F, until  roasted and golden.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I make pecan or walnuts with cayenne pepper using a mix of techniques. I took the advice of Eileen Yin-Fen Lo to boil the walnuts 2 times to avoid that unpleasant tannin taste that walnuts can have. I boil 250 g of walnuts in 1 Liter water for 5 minutes. Refresh and repeat. I put in a pot 1/3 cup water and 4 tablespoons sugar, boil for one minute. Add the walnuts and let the syrup consume. I add 1 tablespoon and half oil, mix. Add cayenne pepper taste, mix. Spread on a tray covered with parchment or silpat, sprinkle with fleur de sel and bake for about 45 minutes at 300 F, stirring every 15 minutes. When they are nice and golden and fully dry inside they are ready.

With almonds I've used the egg white method and I like it better, but for walnuts that is my way to go recipe.

• Like 1