• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for cocktails from the 50's

tanstaafl2

Celebrating a friends 60th soon. Was trying to come up with a few cocktails from the 50's. Other than "not real rye" Canadian whisky and bourbon-y Manhattan's and overly dry Martini's is there anything characteristic of that period?

Any cocktails that were created in the 50's that were noteworthy? Best I could come up with is the Moscow Mule which was originally created in the early 40's but seemed to have gotten popular in the 50's in the early days of vodka's unfortunate domination of the cocktail culture for the next 40 plus years. Not my favorite cocktail (I tend to go with a "Guadalajara Burro" instead) but nothing else is coming to mind.

Thoughts welcome! I can only make so many "Kangaroo cocktails" in one night before I start throwing bottles...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I'd go full-on Tiki!

Good thought! That was the Tiki heyday. Will have to see what will work for this relatively novice cocktail crowd.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

The Mai Tai is actually one of the more simple and accessible Tiki drinks, in my opinion. Crushed ice for a crowd may be difficult, but I absolutely agree with Elise. Tiki was by far the only good thing happening in mixology in that era.

• Like 1

As I had feared this was a predominantly Kangaroo Cocktail crowd with one enthusiastic Moscow Mule drinker in the midst. I did try to branch out a bit with the Vesper as well as making a few variations on a Manhattan (with the Washington Post version of the Black Manhattan one of my personal favorites).

Any effort on my part on Tiki drinks, even the Mai Tai, seemed like it would have been wasted so glad I didn't make much of an effort in that direction.

~tanstaafl2

• 2 years later...

This is a little late for your friend's 60th, but for others interested in noteworthy cocktails invented in the 1950s, here's a couple more. The Piña Colada from 1954 and the Bull Shot from ~ 1952.

You might want to add the Last Word to this list as well. Although invented ~ 1921, it wasn't until 1951 that it was first published.