• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello all!

Jercooks845

Good day fellow culinarians and friends this is my first post on egullet and looking forward to the massive amount of knowledge accessible through egullet. Some of my credentials are completing a two year Prostart program, culinary competitions, and work experience dating back to when I turned sixteen and my mother made me get a job at Wendy's on my birthday. I love the restaurant industry, I love to travel, meet people, try new things, all that good stuff. I've spent a lot of time being down on myself, not having any confidence and just being your typical teen from a troubled home, shitty town, shitty school system and so forth. About a month ago after an argument with my employer of about 5 years I came home and began to partake in a few too many Lagunitas. I realized that despite of everything I accomplished, how many books I've read something was still missing. After high school I was accepted into all the major schools, JWU, CIA, NECI, ICE, Paul Smith's and I was told that "hey this Is great but who's paying for it?" I started going to a SUNY school instead and I didn't feel it was intense or focused enough. I left school and just began working for guys who could teach me, doing stages at many many restaurants in the area, traveling, eating etc. Later that night I realized you know what, to hell with the money and I haphazardly applied to the CIA and wrote a long inebriated letter. To my surprise I was accepted and am starting the first week of December and already I feel like I'm seeing life in a new light. I got a new job in poughkeepsie, I've been reading all those books and some new ones that made me fall In love with restaurant life. Everything good in my life has come from standing in some kitchen, standing underneath the glow of fluorescent lights and prepping my mise until my fingers bleed. While all my high school friends are still living at home, having babies with girls they aren't completely fond of, living on the wages of mom and dad, I've been growing, getting better both as a professional and a human being. In short I just wanted to say hello to all of you who take this as seriously as I do but know to enjoy it at the same time. I am always looking for advice, mind expanding conversation and even friendly debates. Looking forward to the future and chatting with you guys

Cheers!

Jeremy

Edited by Jercooks845 (log)

Hey Jeremy!

Welcome to eGullet.

So glad you're pursing your life's passion by going to Culinary Institute of America.

I absolutely love Lagunitas pislner, but it's tough to find in my neck of the woods.

This site is a wealth of information for anyone who cares about good food, it's preparation, provenance and tools to make it happen. I'm pretty sure you're at the right place.

One word of advice: the paragraph return key is your friend.  :smile:

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <