• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A blender alternative?

powerdog

I have some frozen melon chunks and strawberries that I'd like to thaw and use in smoothies. However, I'd rather not add another appliance to my countertop, especially one that needs hand cleaning. Best for me is something I can use quickly and put in the dishwasher.

Do you think a potato ricer would be up to this task? I should add that I will never want kale in my smoothie, that I only need one serving at a time, and that I don't care if the drink is really smooth. I just don't want a huge battle with the fruit.

Kim, that might be the easiest solution, but there must have been something they used 100 years ago for this task. (Mortar & pestle?) I guess I'd go with the Breville because, recovering from back surgery, the less time I spend at the sink, the better, and it has a DW safe shaft. It's just a little scary that some people complain that it falls apart right away. Maybe operator error.

The thing people used 100 years ago would have been a food mill, or food strainer, with more to wash than a blender or immersion blender. Honestly, an immersion blender and a steel milkshake cup sound like the way to go.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 1

+1 on the immersion blender/jug combo. Throw jug in sink. Drop the blade attachment in the sink. Damn close to zero effort, even if you're hand-washing. My immersion blender--and it's not a particularly flash one--seems to handle everything I throw at it without fuss. If you want to be really fancy you could throw a fine strainer into the mix. Tip the contents of the jug into your serving vessel via a strainer. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Kim, that might be the easiest solution, but there must have been something they used 100 years ago for this task.---------

People used to ride horses if they had to go places.

Today we use something else.

You will be very happy with a stick blender.

dcarch

If the hand-cleaning is a bigger issue than the counter space, try this with your stationary blender: half-fill it with warm water, add a few drops of dish soap, put the lid on, and run the blender for a few seconds. Dump, rinse, disassemble, and that's it!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I add another vote for the immersion blender. My regular blender broke several years ago and I have not bought a new one, mostly because the ones I see are so cheaply made. The immersion blender has worked for almost everything I would have made in the blender. The stick blender is easy and quick to wash--it only needs a swish in hot, soapy water and a rinse.

• Like 1