• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raspberry filling for wedding cake

stuartlikesstrudel

Hi,

I'm making a friend's wedding cake and am getting a bit stuck with fillings: The cake itself is a rich chocolate cake and I originally planned to use a coconut filling along with a raspberry filling (alternating layers) however they now don't want coconut, so i'm reverting to just raspberry as the flavour profile.

Tonight, in some experimenting, I mixed up some white chocolate raspberry ganache (using white chocolate and raspberries) as well as a batch of raspberry filling from this fantastic post.

I love the taste of the second filling, the ganache not so much (though i'm going to try whipping it tomorrow and see if light-and-fluffy suits it). However I don't like the idea of just using the raspberry filling - it will require a LOT of raspberries and is quite strong tasting. I wonder if anyone has a dark chocolate ganache recipe using raspberries or something like this filling mixed with chocolate. My ideal filling would be smooth and not too sharp tasting, but still with a fresh burst of raspberry. And of course, needs to be stable for multi-tiered construction.

Alternatively, I'm wondering about spreading a little ganache and then a bit of the raspberry filling on top, so two mini-fillings between layers.

Any ideas?! I have found a number of raspberry ganache recipes online but would rather not just try a whole bunch aimlessly if someone here has a good one... and most of those online seem to use jam, which in my head wouldn't be so tasty, but who knows...

Thanks so much!

I would do alternating layers of raspberry jam or jellie and  dark chocolate  ganache instead of mixing it.  Good   raspberry jam can be amazing,  trust me.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

This is simply a raspberry ganache which I have used for raspberry truffles for a long time now.  Certainly not fancy, but we like it.  I guess more cream could be added for a softer ganache.  Sorry, it isn't tested for long time storage at all.  Good luck. 

9 ounces bittersweet chocolate

3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

While I have not tested this on chocolate cake, I've had great success with using good quality raspberry jam as a filling with lemon or French vanilla cakes. Jam has a stronger flavor than say, Solo (canned) raspberry filling. The jam isn't quite as thick, but the flavor would stand up to the chocolate better, I would think.

Best wishes!

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Thanks for the replies everyone - after all your agreement r.e jam I went out and got a nice one (couldn't find bakery jam) and it was a much better result than i expected. I also tried mixing the cooked raspberry filling with some buttercream and that was a fresh and creamy tasting filling so I might go with that, or the jam ganache.

Cheers,