• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shel's Simple Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta

Shel_B

Shel’s Simple Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta

I like to use a shallow rustic ceramic bowl for this dish so that people can help themselves, or serve in individual dishes.

Ingredients

1 envelope unflavored gelatin

1 cup sugar, scant (see notes)

1 cup water, divided

1 cup whipping cream

1 cup Meyer lemon juice (4-6 Meyer lemons)

1 - 2 Tbs finely grated Meyer lemon zest (optional, see notes)

1 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt (use one without additives and fillers)

1 tsp - 1½ tsp vanilla extract

Instructions 

Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water in a small ramekin; let it soften for 5 minutes or until no dry spots remain.

Combine sugar and 1/2 cup warm water in a saucepan; bring to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat and add the gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Add cream, lemon juice and lemon zest. Let cool slightly.

Put yogurt in a mixing bowl and whisk to loosen it up. Add the cream mixture, little by little, gently stirring after each addition to break up any lumps of yogurt before adding more cream. Do not over stir, which will avoid air bubbles.

Pour mixture into a 5-cup bowl or mold. Tap the bowl on the counter to remove air bubbles. Cover and chill until set, 6 hours to overnight.

Notes: Ideally, use heavy whipping cream, but even half-and-half will work. When using whipping cream, use a good, unadulterated cream. Many store creams have additives and fillers – read the labels! Trader Joe’s whipping cream (in my area) is excellent, as is Clover – made in the same plant.  Manufacturer's cream is heavier and may also be a good choice.

For a somewhat tangier result, mix Meyer lemon with regular, Eureka lemons – maybe as much as about 50-50, but I prefer no more than about 20% of regular lemon juice. You can use a mixture of zest as well. Experiment to find the lemon intensity you prefer. Sometimes I want it heavy, other times more subtle.

A scant cup of sugar seems to be just fine, but depending on your taste and the intensity of the lemons, a little more, or less, may also work. I’ve gone as low as ¾ cup sugar when using all Meyer lemons, a bit more when adding Eureka lemon juice.

You can use somewhat less gelatin for a "looser" texture, or more if you prefer a firmer dessert. I like the results from a standard packet.

I’ve never used super fine sugar, just fine. I let the sugar sit in warmed water for a bit before turning on the heat and stirring. Vanilla sugar may be great, but I’ve not yet tried it

• Like 2

... Shel