• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High extraction bread flour

ElainaA

I have been given a 25 lb bag of this flour - locally milled from locally grown wheat. I've baked bread for years but have never heard of this type of flour before. I would love some information from those of you who are much more experienced bakers than am I. How is this different from regular bread flour? Will it perform differently in recipes? Are there certain types of bread for which this is especially suited?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Hamelman's math formula is supposed to combine WW flour and regular bread flour (at 70% extraction) to make high-extraction flour. Since you already have high-extraction flour, you can ignore it.

It might be worth asking the vendor just what percentage that high extraction is. Once you know, you can cut the high-extraction flour with regular bread flour for a lesser extraction.

You might also consider keeping this flour in a very cool place, so the WW part of it doesn't go rancid.

I've never tried high extraction flour, but it sounds like just the kind of thing for sourdough breads or other artisanal breads. The breads will be chewy. Also, with whole wheat in it, I would expect a lesser rise.

The only place I've seen this discussed is Rose Levy Barenbaum's Bread Bible, at p.547.  From that, I gather the main difference between high and low is the protein content, as the outer portion of the endosperm has more.  IOW, Elaina, I'd expect this to behave like a bread flour.  Give it a whirl in a tried-and-true recipe and you'll know.