• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swedish gingerbread

CatPoet

These are my favourite gingerbreads for Christmas. I have had them as long as I can remember. Swedish gingerbreads are thin and crispy and  take 2 days to do, because the  dough needs to mature and  trust me when I say the maturing makes all the difference.

Pepparkakor ca 100 biscuits

100 gram butter

250 ml  brown sugar

100 ml golden syrup or pure cane sugar syrup or  ljus sirap   or honey

100 ml cream

2 teaspoon  ground ginger

2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoon  ground clove

2 teaspoon  bicarbonate soda / baking soda

about  850 ml flour

Cream butter , sugar and syrup  in a bowl.  Add cream and spices and  combine.  Mix 400 ml flour with  the bicarb and  combine. Now add as much   flour as you need to get a soft, smooth and slightly tacky dough.  Wrap in plastic and leave  for at least  8 hours.   Now  dived the dough into  2 balls, dust with flour  and start rolling one of the doughs  out thin, cut out shapes and  lay them on a baking tray with baking paper.  Bake  at 200 C   or 175 C in fan assisted oven  for  8 minutes.  You need to keep an eye on them, they go from perfect to burnt rather quickly.  Leave to cook on   tea towel  or a rack.

Oh and if you after 100 biscuits still have dough left and dont want to bake more, you can pop it back in the fridge, it holds for 4 days or you can freeze it.

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• 1 year later...