• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Middle Eastern Christmas Dishes

James G

I have been asked by a book club to organise a Middle Eastern Christmas dinner for their annual holiday party. I am very comfortable with Middle Eastern cooking, but am not very familiar with what would be considered a "Christmas" dinner there. I have turned to my Lebanese friends, who are singularly unhelpful ("we used to eat roast leg of lamb for Christmas", or "we always went to Paris for Christmas"). I suppose I could just do a "festive" Middle Eastern menu, but thought before I make any decisions about what to serve, I'd turn to the eGullet community for some inspiration. What would you serve them? 

My Arab side is not Christian, so I can't really speak from personal experience, but I'd recommend googling "Lebanese Christmas", "Palestinian Christmas", "Syrian Christmas", "Assyrian/Chaldean Christmas" and also "Coptic Christmas" and see what comes up

My Lebanese  Christian friends  also have lamb leg for Christmas, a whole roasted  with Rosemary /  oregano  , garlic and  served with pomegranate salad among other things and sun dried olives.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

A Typical Xmas in Lebanon and Syria is very much a French inspired menu with a twist for the Turkey stuffing.

Entree:

Smoked Salmon - Foie Gras - Feuilletés Ham and Mushrooms

Plat principal:

- Stuffed Turkey with rice - mince meat - pine nuts - Almonds - Pistachios - Chestnuts being the hero.

To keep the stuffing moist, you add raisins and/or apricots.

Side dishes are green beans - Carrots - Courgettes.

Suite:

Endives salad and walnuts - Cheese Board

Dessert:

Bûche de Noël et Petits Fours - Maamoul

Enjoy....

I needed some things from the local Middle Eastern market so shopped there this morning.  One of the owners is Lebanese and his daughter told me that they had a very large family and served lamb but also a favorite main was a huge platter of quail, marinated in a pomegranate-based surup seasoned with Za'atar, lemon zest and sumac with raw sugar then grilled over a wood fire till the skins are crispy and sticky. 

Here they use mesquite because the resulting flavor is similar to that of the bois de broussailles (whatever the heck that is) they used in their home town in Lebanon.  I think she mentioned some sumac wood was burned but I am not sure I am recalling it correctly.

She said they also roasted whole aubergines (big eggplants) over the same fires to make various dishes, including baba ganoushe which was always offered on all holidays. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I used to have a Jewish acquaintance that refused to eat cookies anytime during the November-December time frame because she said "cookies mean Christmas."  I was quite surprised with that opinion because, in so far as I know anyway, there is no religious connection to cookies.  They don't "signify" anything - like eggs being symbolic of rebirth at Easter, or bitter herbs at Seder. 

But, assuming that cookies are synonymous with Christmas elsewhere, there are some wonderful Middle-Eastern cookie varieties; probably the best-known of which are butter cookies - ghorayebah. 

You might consider googling "middle-eastern cookies" for various ideas and recipes.

And you could decorate these cookies with Christmas themes. 

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.