• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maiz Trillada/Hominy Corn

operaflute

Curious about Goya's product "Maiz Trillada/Hominy Corn"

The word "hominy" implies (to me) nixtamalized corn, but this product is recommended by Maricel Presilla in her book "Gran Cocina Latina" for use in arepas which (usually) use corn that has mechanically hulled, i.e., "maiz pilada" - traditionally cracked in a pilon, not nixtamalized. Is the Goya product nixtamalized or not?  I'm, uh... "cornfused."

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have some in my pantry, as it happens.  My assumption is that it's not treated.  Perhaps the best solution would be to write Goya and ask.  If you get an answer, please post it here.  BTW, another great use for the product, and the reason I bought it, is to make Cachupa, from the Cape Verde Islands.  Recipes all over the internet.