• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions about using frozen heavy cream & cream cheese

Quesmoy

I feel like all I’ve been doing on this site lately is asking for help, sorry,, but everybody on the site is so knowledgeable and are very helpful thank you.

I know if I freeze heavy whipping cream I cannot use it to whip up, but would I still be able to use it for other applications such as making caramel?

Also, can frozen cream cheese still used to make a cheesecake?

I am not one of the 'so knowledgeable' persons, but here's my experience.

Previously frozen heavy whipping cream can be used as an ingredient in cooking.  I've used it in making ganaches.

Previously frozen cream cheese can end up having its texture changed into a grainy sort of thing and I wouldn't use it in making a cheesecake at all.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Would the previously frozen cream cheese melt?  If you could melt it with a little extra liquid (milk, cream) and set it with gelatin you could make a no-bake cheesecake.  If you really want to use this cc for cheesecake, I think it would be worth a try to warm it up and whisk or immersion blend it back together.

Thank you for your answers, I might try the no bake cheesecake idea and see how it goes.  I figure it may not be the best texture, but whatever it makes will more than likely taste good, right?

• Like 1

I cannot comment on frozen cream cheese, but can pass comment on frozen cream. Firstly, I purchase cream from two different sources - the first one which I shall call cream A, I purchase simply because it is cheaper than the second one which I shall call cream B.

Cream A claims to be cream from cows milk with a stabiliser added. What the stabiliser is, I have no idea as it is not specified on the packaging. I have tried freezing this cream and then defrosting and trying to whip it, but with no success. It whips perfectly if fresh.

Cream B claims to be 100% cream from cows milk - no stabilisers or other additives. It is far more "cream" in colour than cream A, which is pure white. It freezes well and when I defrost it, I give the bottle a good shake, pour it into my stand mixer bowl and give it a normal whisk. Is thickens and holds just like it was fresh cream whipped. It is not "grainy" as I have noted in some comments on the Internet.

So, if I am purchasing for immediate use, I purchase cream A, which is a No Name Brand from a local supermarket chain and far cheaper than I can get from my local bulk supplier. If my normal supplier is having a special on cream B, which is fully labeled as to contents and source, I often bulk buy and freeze for later use with no problem when it comes to whipping it.

Just my 2c worth, remembering that I am not in the chemically enhanced US. John.

Edited by JohnT (log)

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.