• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Vegetable Side Dish for Thanksgiving

Shel_B

We (We means that I make it) have been requested to bring a "green vegetable side dish" to Thanksgiving dinner.  I can't think of anything creative that will stand up to traveling or that will be good eaten at room temp or would work well being reheated.  Any suggestions? 

PS: Green Bean Casserole - been there, done that.

Thanks!

... Shel

What's that Spanish classic--chickpeas and spinach? I'm sure I've seen it served cold, implying it'll withstand a bit of transportation. Works nicely with roasted meats if someone else is taking care of that part.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

This isn't pure veg....but it's SO DANG GOOD and it is great at room temp.  I've made this a ton of times and it's always a hit.

http://www.aspicyperspective.com/2012/11/savory-tart-green-bean-mushroom-tart.html

• Like 4

Roasted cauliflower and Kale chips are both delish at room temp. If you can reheat scalloped potatoes they would work wonderfully. A friend just gave me a recipe for sweets and beets that I haven't tried yet but sound incredible. Sweet potatoes and beets roasted.

Ok, but you have to make the green bean tart, too ;)

I like it, but it's not a good fit for the family because of the cheese component and Toots is not a fungi fan.

... Shel

This isn't pure veg....but it's SO DANG GOOD and it is great at room temp.  I've made this a ton of times and it's always a hit.

http://www.aspicyperspective.com/2012/11/savory-tart-green-bean-mushroom-tart.html

This looks so good Shelby. I have made a note to return to it soon.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This looks so good Shelby. I have made a note to return to it soon.

Me, too Shelby. Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like it, but it's not a good fit for the family because of the cheese component and Toots is not a fungi fan.

It's easier to make suggestions if we know some of these limitations in advance. I thought of a couple of veggie casserole dishes but wasn't sure you would want something that tends to be quite rich and they often have some cheese, so just as well I didn't post them. 

Ok, but you have to make the green bean tart, too ;)

I've pinned it and plan to try it as an appie. It sounds very tasty! 

• Like 2

I know Shel_B has already decided on brussels sprouts, but I just decided we're having spanakopita.

That is unless I can snag a fresh stalk of sprouts from TJ's. They usually have them at my local one in time for Thanksgiving, but I missed them last year. You might want to keep an eye out for them at your local Trader Joe's.

Hmm. I wonder what spanakopita would be like if you substituted shredded sprouts for part of the spinach?

> ^ . . ^ <

I'm Swedish, I dont celebrate this but I do have a Christmas recipe that could work wonders.

Kale salad,  it is Kale, raisins, oranges, silver onion and almonds,  it easy to make, gives fresh note to heavy dinner and  back when I could eat it, I loved it. I could dig up the recipe when the kid is awake, she is snoring in the room with the cookbooks.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

A green side dish I've made in the past that people tend to like is from Jacques pepin: sautéed lettuce packets.

Get Boston Bibb or similar lettuce and slice whole heads in half. Boil in salted water until cooked, a couple minutes. Drain, allow to cool, fold into triangles and sautée in plenty of butter after seasoning. You could put some bread or cheese in the middle if you like but they're delicious.

While it is rather a pale green, one of my most favored side dishes from many years ago (also offered when I was catering) was braised celery.

I also relied on a buttered, sometimes cheese-topped broccoli or broccoli rabe  side dish.  Very similar to this one. which was always well recived by the folks who would NEVER touch brussels sprouts, no matter how they were prepared. 

Another favorite, especially among my Italian friends was a dish of broad beans and cipollini onions tossed with cooked pancetta and topped with a sweet/sour hot dressing made with the fat from frying the pancetta, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm Swedish, I dont celebrate this but I do have a Christmas recipe that could work wonders.

Kale salad,  it is Kale, raisins, oranges, silver onion and almonds,  it easy to make, gives fresh note to heavy dinner and  back when I could eat it, I loved it. I could dig up the recipe when the kid is awake, she is snoring in the room with the cookbooks.

How do you make it?  Do you cook the kale or is it raw?  So far, I haven't been a big fan of kale but I'm willing to learn and this sounds good.