• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Mexico food gifts for Michelin starred chefs

I'm visiting Helsinki in a few weeks and going to 4 different Michelin starred restaurants. I want to take gifts for the chefs. The gifts need to be high quality, but also something that will have some frame of reference. I'm already planning on taking them a bottle of our world-class organic balsamic, but I'd like to take some other stuff - maybe things available up in the northern part of the state that I'm not familiar with. What would you give a Michelin starred chef(s) that's from New Mexico?

Chiles? Hatch? Aren't they synonymous with New Mexico, and probably not easy to obtain in Helsinki? Perhaps there is a freeze-dried or sun-dried form? or a vinegar/sauce that uses them to advantage? - since I don't think fresh (not in season anyway) or frozen would travel too well and may be a Customs issue too.

Or failing that, what about looking for a small serving dish of some kind that is made by indigenous people in NM?

Have a great trip - remember to take lots of pictures.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

Well, I'm no expert, but if I were a chef I'd love some of that pottery that you showed us on your cookbook thread.  And some Hatch chiles :)

Edited to say:

Ha!  We all like the chiles :)   

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

The international travel thing makes it trickier. My first thought was all about chiles and I do think you have to work them into your gift baskets in some fashion, although probably not a beautiful bright red ristra. And something blue corn of course.

I'll try to think what other food products I always bring home with me from road trips through New Mexico.

Although it's unhelpful to mention many of my favorite foods of New Mexico because I bring them home in my stomach.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Lived in the NW corner of the state for awhile, and beyond the hatch chiles, the iconic flavor I miss is Navajo Fry Bread...the real thing certainly wouldn't travel. Perhaps a recipe?

• Like 2

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Cookies:

Biscochitos

Polvorones con Piñon

Dry provisions in a nice little crate:

a big bag of piñones (that's what I miss the most)

a bag of blue corn meal

red chile peppers

red corn meal (I helped develop that, along with hundreds of other residents, with Seeds of Change)

Seeds, from Seeds of Change:

Green Chile

Blue Corn

Red Corn

beans

Maybe make up a little cookbook with basic recipes for green/red chile stew, biscochitos, etc. in it. Or just buy one.

I'd also look for someone to give you a deal on a bulk purchase and try to include a fetish in each gift box/basket.

• Like 4