• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help: ISO Sushi Fish Purveyors off of the West Coast, Please.

phan1

Well, I have a sushi restaurant in Texas. And I was wondering what purveyors that great sushi restaurants would use on the West Coast, as I'd like to have more options.  I've worked in some great sushi places on the East Coast and am pretty picky.  But now that I'm in Texas, my best options for great fish are on the West Coast where I never worked and am unfamiliar with.  Right now I'm using International Marine Product, and they're great but I feel like there's gotta be more out there.  Who do the great restaurants like Urasawa or Mori or Yamakase use?

True World is another good one, but they keep defering me to True World Dallas, where the fish is not as good to be frank.  Where else do people get their fish on the West Coast?

It couldn't hurt to talk to Santa Monica Seafood.  http://www.santamonicaseafood.com/content/seafood-company-history Based on what I have read and heard the local chefs may be getting access to the best stuff - actually visiting market like International Marine.  Like Sysco - there are tiers I think?