• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rlibkind

2015 Maine Shrimp Season: Busted

:sad:  :sad:  :sad:

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Such a difficult situation.  My heart goes out to all the shrimpers.....from the article it looks like maybe 2-3 more years.  So hard for the people trying to make a living.

But, we need the shrimps (shrimp?) to rejuvenate and be sustainable again.

I hope it happens faster than they say.

• Like 3

During this season's closure, three shrimp boats have been selected to collect sample harvests of Gulf Of Maine shrimp between Feb 1 and Mar 20.  They came in Wednesday and biologists measured and tested some before turning them over to Portland Fish Exchange for auction.  1200 pounds were snapped up at a record $4/lb.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/02/20/sample-harvest-of-maine-shrimp-makes-big-splash-at-market/

My local fishmonger here in Portland sold out a half hour before I got there.  If you are in New York, some place named Smitty's bought some of that haul.

• Like 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

If you are in New York, some place named Smitty's bought some of that haul.

Thanks Johnny - it looks like Smitty's is a wholesaler at Fulton Fish Market - most likely everything is going to restaurants.