• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodini: the next sous vide cooker?

suzilightning

Just saw a quick story on my local news about this process/item.  3 D printers are now moving into military, prosthetic use, etc. ... BUT food?!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/06/tech/innovation/foodini-machine-print-food/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just saw a quick story on my local news about this process/item.  3 D printers are now moving into military, prosthetic use, etc. ... BUT food?!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/06/tech/innovation/foodini-machine-print-food/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

So I can print out a realistic looking fish that tastes exactly like strawberries?

Very nice.

dcarch

• Like 2

Uh oh. Another kitchen gadget. Thanks (not) for the heads-up that this is coming down the pipe soon.

On the other hand, if, for instance, one is making ravioli, one must still make the dough and the filling so all this does is put them together in perfectly identical,'ticky-tacky boxes'. I am sure it has some uses for some people who are finicky about the 'look' of a particular prepared foodstuff - and that may include chocolate makers who want/need their products to look professionally made (albeit right now very slowly and one by one as far as I can tell) - but, while the concept is intriguing to me in general terms, I am not sure Foodini will go on the top of my 'must have' list right now.

Hmmm though ... a strawberry tasting fish ... or a fish tasting strawberry ... those may have potential.

Edited by Deryn (log)

There was a show on the Food Channel last Wednesday.  Mo Rocca was taking a tour of newly trending foods. One stop was on the West coast, California I think  A couple was producing amazing cake toppers using the 3D  printers.  Building one took forever but the end product was unreal.  The downside was they were making them for Duff Goldman.

Might have been on the Cooking Channel?

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1

For those who love to eat extruded paste...

Sometimes extruded paste is good... just depends on the paste.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There was a show on the Food Channel last Wednesday.  Mo Rocca was taking a tour of newly trending foods. One stop was on the West coast, California I think  A couple was producing amazing cake toppers using the 3D  printers.  Building one took forever but the end product was unreal.  The downside was they were making them for Duff Goldman.

Might have been on the Cooking Channel?

But, Goldman said that what took them 4-6 hours would have taken him DAYS to make, and would never be the same.

in the hands of a great Chef, I happen to love spherification too.

Dave Arnold has talked about 3D printed food and how hard it was for him to find legitimate uses for it. Anything you want to make more than a dozen of, you're better off making a mold rather than 3D printing it and you're limited to single textured pastes. It's not the fundamental shift in cooking the food 3d printing people are hoping for.

PS: I am a guy.