• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What chili oil do you use?

Naftal

Hello-  I enjoy cooking in a variety of Asian styles. And, I also enjoy hot/spicy dishes. So it should not come as a surprise that chili oil is a staple in my pantry. My current bottle was purchased at an Oriental grocery store. The bottle is from Taiwan. The only English on the bottle is a nutritional label that lists the ingredients as soybean oil and chili powder.

So, what chili oil do you use?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I love the Lao Gan Ma hot Chilli oil. It is a great condiment as well, and goes well with mayo as a salad dressing. If you want less heat it can be diluted quite a bit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Simon

I tend to think of Lao gan ma as a chili sauce or paste rather than a chili oil. It comes in many varieties - all pastes.

See here.

Like others I usually make my own chili oil, but also have a backup bottle in the cupboard in case I forget. This one.

chilli%20oil.jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I put some chiles in the ISI Whip with some grapeseed or olive oil, and charge with 2 N2O chargers.

5 minutes later it's Chile Oil, with whatever chiles you like, and with more chile flavour than commercial brands or heat related methods.

• Like 2

I make my own and it's really simple.

I steep about 2 cups of red pepper flakes (can buy at Costco if can't find anywhere else.) in about 

4 cups of peanut oil. (But you could use Wesson (type) oil. Never olive oil.)

I always use a stainless pan. 

I let that steep (soak) for anywhere from a few hours to several days, depending. :)

Then I heat it up very slowly, stirring occasionally until the pepper flakes just barely start to turn a little darker. (Do NOT let them darken too much for then it will taste burnt. I use a flame tamer just to be extra cautious.)

Turn the heat off and let it cool. (I sometimes have let it stay in the pan for a day or more, depending...:)

I strain it through a chinoise type strainer. into a jar. (Several layers of cheesecloth would probably do the trick also.)

Another hot chili oil that I love is a Hunan type that has black beans, garlic, red pepper flakes in it. It's more complicated to make but worth the little bit of effort. My daughter always makes it for me so I'd have to dig around for the recipe.