• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for candying blackberries, and other ways to use blackberries

Quesmoy

I am getting a flat of blackberries, and thought I might want to candy some for the holidays.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?  Also, any other ideas on ways to use the blackberries?

Do you mean sugared blackberries (using a beaten egg white to adhere sanding or other coarse sugar to the berry and setting them to dry with a crisp-ish shell)? Or something less fragile/perishable? The former is easy but since blackberries are juicy I am not sure how one accomplishes the latter unless one just incorporates blackberry juice or crushed blackberries in some kind of hard candy preparation? Kerry Beal might be able to come up with a freeze-dried, chocolate dipped version too.

• Like 1

Hello- You could make a blackberry-flavored vodka :smile:

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Yeah - I'm not seeing how you could candy them - just don't think they have the texture for it.  Freeze dried, chocolate dipped would work a treat!

How about Blackberry Fluff from Food 52.

• Like 2

Hey Quesmoy,

I love blackberries! You're so lucky to be getting a whole flat. They are very expensive around here. The birds, raccoons and other wildlife always beat me to the ones in my yard before they're ripe enough for me. Ditto the grapes.

You could make pies and freeze before baking. I've not personally done this with blackberries because I never had enough of them, but I've literally done it with hundreds of apple pies over the years. Also the processed food companies sell unbaked frozen blackberry pies and cobblers, so you most probably can do it successfully.

Blackberry muffins are good, and they can be frozen after baking to preserve them for a while. Coffee cakes and quick breads are great with blackberries, and can be frozen after baking too.

I like them in pancakes with syrup made from the cooked berries too.

They'd be great in a salad with spring mix or baby spinach with a blackberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and to really gild it, some candied pecans with a little course salt. Maybe a little goat cheese.

You can also just freeze the blackberries. It changes the texture, and makes the seeds more noticeable to me, so they can't compare with fresh, and are only good for cooking after freezing. That doesn't stop me from buying them frozen out of fresh season though.

Like others, I can't see how you can candy and preserve them like glace cherries, pineapple, or citrus rinds, but you could make a pate de fruit, I think.

Have fun with your berries.  :smile:

> ^ . . ^ <

Hey Quesmoy,

I love blackberries! You're so lucky to be getting a whole flat. They are very expensive around here. The birds, raccoons and other wildlife always beat me to the ones in my yard before they're ripe enough for me. Ditto the grapes.

You could make pies and freeze before baking. I've not personally done this with blackberries because I never had enough of them, but I've literally done it with hundreds of apple pies over the years. Also the processed food companies sell unbaked frozen blackberry pies and cobblers, so you most probably can do it successfully.

Blackberry muffins are good, and they can be frozen after baking to preserve them for a while. Coffee cakes and quick breads are great with blackberries, and can be frozen after baking too.

I like them in pancakes with syrup made from the cooked berries too.

They'd be great in a salad with spring mix or baby spinach with a blackberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and to really gild it, some candied pecans with a little course salt. Maybe a little goat cheese.

You can also just freeze the blackberries. It changes the texture, and makes the seeds more noticeable to me, so they can't compare with fresh, and are only good for cooking after freezing. That doesn't stop me from buying them frozen out of fresh season though.

Like others, I can't see how you can candy and preserve them like glace cherries, pineapple, or citrus rinds, but you could make a pate de fruit, I think.

Have fun with your berries.  :smile:

Thank you for all the ideas, I don’t know why I didn’t even think about making a blackberry pie or pancakes.  I’m sure my kids will definitely enjoy the pancakes.

OOH, that sounds like a really good idea, how do I go about making blackberry flavored vodka?

Quesmoy- Try this eG thread http://forums.egullet.org/topic/32778-infusions-tinctures-at-home-the-topic/   They are experts.    

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Blackberry and lemon go particularly well together - they often lack acid if they are properly ripe - blackberry jam with lots of lemon zest/juice is a favourite round these parts.

I never would've thought of putting blackberry and lemon together.  I'm wondering if adding a little bit of lemon zest to a pie would go good.

Blackberry jellies or fruit pate or what every you call these squares of yummy  wobbly fruit juice and dipped in dark chocolate, that is something I try to get hold of every autumn.

Blackberry jam and blackberry marmalade  are two favourites here but also blackberry cake.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.