• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turntables for cake decorating

Catherine Iino

Does anyone have a recommendation on a brand and make of turntable? I have been an amateur cake baker and decorator for years, but I have always made do with lazy susans of various kinds. Now my daughter is getting married and I'm finally going to get a true cake-decorating turntable. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Don't go cheap, don't get plastic, don't get one with a lip. A nice heavy base is useful. There are several good brands out there, I have mostly used Ateco 612 and 613 and prefer the 613.

Those just stay level, and are good workhorses. The plastic high end Wilton does tilt, and I own one, but tilting cause the cake to slip off, so it sits unused at the back of a cupboard. I think the tilt is too gimmicky overall. I'd rather have a work table with adjusting height.

Oh yeah, don't get the rectangular one unless you do a lot of rectangular cakes. I worked at a place where that was the only turntable and it was really difficult to use for round cakes.

Somewhere in my stuff I have one of these that I bought at a restaurant supply place about 20+ years ago.

It has a cast iron base which is heavy enough to support a cake larger than 12 inches (I think 14 inches was the size I mostly used) on a round tray topped with a patty board.  I used museum wax to stick the tray to the turntable.

This is just tall enough to make it easy for someone my height (5'6") to work on a cake on a  baker's bench that is lower than regular kitchen counters - mine is 31 inches  while the kitchen counters are 36".

I looked for it but it seems to be too well stored for immediate access.  I did find a multi-tiered cake stand that I had totally forgetten about and which I never used...  Will have to dust off the box and put it on eBay as I will never have a use for it now - just have to find a large enough box in which to ship it...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I forget exactly which one mine is but when I was in school I asked my chef if she had any recommendations. She said that the single most important thing to remember is having a really nice and heavy base. If you can move it around while working on a cake you are in for a world of trouble. You want the cake put on there and for it to stay in place. A couple of my friends went out and got ones meant for potters and a couple got Wilton ones. If you take just one thing away from this, don't buy Wilton.

"If you can crack an egg one-handed, you'll have no problems undoing a brassiere." -Newfie saying

I think it depends on what level you're at and what you're baking. Sounds like you'll be making a wedding cake and that you have a lot of experience under your belt. So I agree with the others, you want a heavy duty turntable, one that won't shift around while you're working and that you will continue to use forever. I have a Wilton. It is a piece of plastic and it is very lightweight, for sure. But it works fine for a plain old layer cake. I've used it for cakes of four layers and not had a problem. But I make 8-inch cakes, sometimes 9-inch, and usually just 2 sometimes 3 layers. So depending on the frequency of use and also the size of the cakes you're making, in some cases the Wilton can be a good option. It's also quite cheap, so for anyone who is just starting to learn about cake decorating (and I am still a beginnner), I think it's a worthwhile purchase.

• 7 months later...

I ended up getting the Ateco 613 revolving cake stand, and it was just fine. Heavy, steady. There were some complaints on Amazon about rough edges underneath, but I did not find that to be a problem. The wedding cake had three tiers--14", 10", and 6"--and the turntable was fine with all of them.

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1