• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cauliflower, the new "it" vegetable

gulfporter

I roasted off the last of my oversized cauliflower for dinner, and it was very, very fine.

We enjoyed some of it in salad raw earlier, and it was fine there too, so no degradation of quality for its large size.

Probably part of the "It" status it currently enjoys is because of the low carb factor, and the popularity of recipes that make it much more delicious than plain boiled. I'm not a fan of it boiled, especially if overcooked, but I absolutely love it properly roasted, thanks to eGullet!

> ^ . . ^ <

This year we took away a full jar of extra gravy. I froze most of it, but the other night I made a yummy mashed potato and cauliflower dish. I had 5 med yukon golds and a large cauliflower and used it all, based loosely on a recipe I had kicking around. This recipe (and I've seen others like it) calls for boiling the cauliflower as well as the potatoes. Instead, I cut it into florets and sautéed it in olive oil, s & p and garlic, finally braising it with a little broth to get it nice and soft before mashing it with the potatoes. This mix required only a minimal splash of 1/2 and 1/2 to become creamy, and very little extra butter or oil. With gravy, excellent.

Upthread someone says the yellow variety tastes different. I agree! I think it has more flavor. One thing I have noticed though is that finding organic yellow cauliflower is a challenge.

• 6 years later...

The regular chain market featured "green cauliflower" the other day. Not the Romanesco cultivar with the other worldly spiral pattern. It was on sale and in great condition so will try it roasted and steamed. Big head so 1/2 & 1/2. Some for soup and the roasted mostly straight off the sheet pan. I'd never seen this marketed here before. Your experiences? 

Oh it is from Steinbeck Country Produce in Salinas (yes John)  https://www.naturesreward.com/

green caul.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

The regular chain market featured "green cauliflower" the other day. Not the Romanesco cultivar with the other worldly spiral pattern. It was on sale and in great condition so will try it roasted and steamed. Big head so 1/2 & 1/2. Some for soup and the roasted mostly straight off the sheet pan. I'd never seen this marketed here before. Your experiences? 

Oh it is from Steinbeck Country Produce in Salinas (yes John)  https://www.naturesreward.com/

green caul.JPG

back in the before times, when i still left the house, i noticed that the last couple of years has seen the local supermarket start carrying green, yellow, and purple heads, all sitting in a row

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

I have seen it up here in Norcal in Sprouts, along with purple and orange.  When they have the colors they usually have all three.  Can't say they taste any different.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

yes

Before

I noticed this too.

but back then , and in a few months 

hopefully

I'll prefer a few Potatoes.

at least the Cauliflower is not a GBP.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I have seen it up here in Norcal in Sprouts, along with purple and orange.  When they have the colors they usually have all three.  Can't say they taste any different.

Here I have seen them quite small at Farmers Market - the different colors. My hands are small so easily cradled. I'd use them as a centerpiece on  buffet like a bouquet with the ornamental cabbage. But this one is man hand sized. Shall see how it tastes.  https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/ornamental-cabbage.html?