• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deesgusting... help me!

Akiko

There is this recipe for sweet and sour chicken wings that a lot of Hawaiian- Japanese people make. It's pretty good in its original form - chicken wings battered in egg and corn starch and then deep fried and then you pour the sauce (pineapple juice, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, salt) over the things and bake them.

So you get these kind of candied wings...

But then I had wings at Hooters (yes, I have to admit, I'm rather fond of that place) and I loved the way that they came out crispy crunchy even though they were sauced... how do they do that?

And then I got the idea that I could IMPROVE this recipe that has been handed down from generation of hawaiian asians to the next..

I have... changed the batter to panko and corn starch.... double dipped the things... and every try has turned out more disgusting than the last.

How do you think Hooters does it? Crunchy crispy batter fried wings...that are sauced and aren't soggy?

Edited by Akiko (log)

I have never been a fan of the wings at Hooters...not that I have ever been before! :raz: I do know that the local wing place here in seattle (Wing Dome) deep fries all the wings and then sauces them by tossing them in a bowl with a bit of the sauce. I would guess you should do this while they are fresh out of the fryer.

Man, now I want some wings.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Follow me to Hooters!

Yes, they do deep fry the wings at Hooters and I have direct experience and they're pretty good but ask for all drums. Actually I'm not about to go to Hooters, but I saw the above there on a bumper of an old pos pickup and obviously, looked on it with envy as I was not going to Hooters. :sad:

My guess is that they dip them in the silicone implants they take back when they fire a waitress.

:laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM